Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

demolish only part of wall

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
mmiles
13950 Views, 9 Replies

demolish only part of wall

??Renovation projects where certain portions of walls are being demolished??

(i.e. windows in middle of long wall segment being removed to make way for a closet).

Is there a way to do this without splitting the "existing" walls all over the place?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sbrown
in reply to: mmiles

Use the split tool, split the wall where you want to demo, then demo that portion.
Message 3 of 10
roger

Yes the split tool is the way to do this
Message 4 of 10
archangelo

It sounds like your trying to show the window as removed. To do this right click on the window and select PROPERTIES. In the Element Properties pop-up under Phasing do the following: set Phase Created to EXISTING and Phase Demolished to NEW CONSTRUCTION. OK your way out.

Now right click in the view and select VIEW PROPERTIES. Under Phasing set Phase Filter to SHOW COMPLETE (to show final construction with window gone) or SHOW DEMO/NEW to see the window dashed indicating to be removed.

This works for walls and family componets also. If you set the wall to exisitng, you'll need to change the view settings. The best way to see what happens is to play around with the phase settings under Properties and View Properties, to get the result your looking for. Remember you'll have to carry this process through out all your views.
Message 5 of 10
mmiles

Thanks. I should have clarified in my example that the window/wall being demolished would include an addition which would be used as a closet. In other words, in this case, the closet would push out 2ft from the face of the window and portion of the wall needing demolition.

It appears that the split tool is the easiest way to demolish portions of walls. It is that I am splitting walls all over the place in order for new and existing portions of the model to work out right. I literally have wall segments that are 10" wide is some places. It is becoming both tedious and messy. I suppose that is a small price to pay when modeling.
Message 6 of 10
Womack

Yes, this can become messy. However, think about how the workmen woula actually do this. Would they take out 10" wide stips, or would they take out a larger chunk, and then put new walls back into fill in the demoed areas?
Message 7 of 10
Wotdat

What do you do when you have an existing wall that you want to Demolish only a portion of these existing for a new window opening without breaking the wall down, and show in Elevation view the Demolished portion ?

Thanks
Message 8 of 10
Womack

The system is smart enough so that if a door or window is placed in an existing wall, and the door or window is placed as new construction, it will automatically demo a hole or opening in that wall, without your doing anything else.
Message 9 of 10
Wotdat

Yes, I am aware of that Revit capability.
But, how do you show that part the door/window displaced as to be Demolished in elevation view?

Thanks
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

If you want to demolish part of a wall, split the wall first and demolish the individual pieces as appropriate.

wrote in message news:5065676@discussion.autodesk.com...
Yes, I am aware of that Revit capability.
But, how do you show that part the door/window displaced as to be Demolished in elevation view?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report