Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demolish an Opening in an Existing Wall

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
edward_saota
11265 Views, 8 Replies

Demolish an Opening in an Existing Wall

Hi there

Is there a way to demolish (new construction) an opening into a wall that is an existing phase (existing wall)?

Help would be greatly appreciate...

Edward

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rosskirby
in reply to: edward_saota

Unfortunately, you can't yet demolish a part of something, only the whole thing.  So go into an existing phase elevation view of your existing wall, edit the profile to create the opening where you want it.  Then, in an existing phase plan view, draw a new "infill" wall of the same type as the existing wall, and demolish that "infill" wall in the new construction phase.  Kind of clunky, but it works.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 9
edward_saota
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
AndrewHarp

There is a door category that is simply that, just an opening. The down side is that they will then schedule , so you need to filter them out. It is exactly like placing a door, just no frames etc. We use a type mark in our openings and filter them from the schedule that way. Create your existing wall as it is built, then in your new work phase, place the opening family, viola, new opening in an existing wall. No need to fake it.

Message 5 of 9
alhadidi

You need to create a generic wall based family and create a parametric opening. I attached the family file which may help who has similar issue 

S.

Message 6 of 9

This issue should be resolved in the next release. This is a very important part of retrofit and construction drawings. Idealy, when inserting a new door in an existing wall, demolition lines should be automatically created in the demo phase.

Message 7 of 9

Dan,

That is what happens when you insert a family into an existing wall.  The problem the OP was having is that when inserting openings, or when in need of demolishing a part of a wall, you have do a bit more work.  

You have two options:

1. Create, in your existing drawings, a partial wall that represents the portion to be demolished, which is a bit tedious to do, but it works for every situation.
  2. Create a wall-hosted family (doesn't matter what category) with no modeled geometry, just an opening that cuts the wall with variable parameters for length/width.  The drawbacks to this are that the family will show up in any schedule created for that category, unless it is specifically filtered out.  Also, you'd be limited to a rectilinear demo shape, unless you went to the trouble of building L, I, T, circular, etc. shapes into the family.

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 9
fayyazuppal1
in reply to: AndrewHarp

i have to add dormer in to existing roof, but only problem is when i put dormer opening in existing roof i will also shown in existing phase. i there any way like windows when we put window in existing wall i automatically show that part of wall as demolish   

Message 9 of 9

This sucks, however there is a workaround (Why a workaround is needed is beyond me) 

1. look at the model in 3D (Isometric) where the new door cuts (leave phase to Show Previous + Demo)

2. select the Unjoin Geometry button in the Modify Tab. then select the new door.

3. use the linework tool and choose Demo.

The workaround is complete ugh!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report