Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demoed window outline remains in "New Constrcution" phase.

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
shawn
1323 Views, 13 Replies

Demoed window outline remains in "New Constrcution" phase.

Greetings Kind People,

I am working in a view set up for new construction. The structure is existing and some elements have been "demoed" in a previous phase. The wall is a conc. retaining wall, the window a simple fixed frame picture window. The view is a "duplicate view" of the previous "existing structure" phase with the phase "new construction" selected for the view.

The problem is that there is still some line work left from the demoed window that shows up in the wall as a black outline, no detail, just a black outline.

In case it's relevant, the window is a modified window that I copied from a different family and made small dimensional changes to.

Can anyone tell me why the outline still shows and what I can do about it? Thank you,

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
alan.quinn
in reply to: shawn

Make sure under Phasing that Show Complete is selected. Otherwise the demoed window will show up.

Thank you,

Message 3 of 14
shawn
in reply to: alan.quinn

Thank you Alan,

I tried your suggestion but it didn't seem to make a difference.

The outline that remains seems to be the outline of the new wall that has filled in the hole. When I render the model, the line goes away, but in elevation and 3d modle views it remains.

It may or may not be relevant, but there is another adjacent issue. This window is in a basement wall and there is a "building pad" (to create a void in the exterior topo surface) and a concrete structure for a window well on the outside. Both the building pad and window well are gone in the "new construction" phase, but the hole in the topo sureface remains, it doesn't close up.

Any additional suggestions?

PS. I was going to send you an image file to help explain the exact situation...but wan't able to figure out to do that. I know there's a simple way, I remember seeing some menu option for saving image, but I couldn't find it when I needed it.

Message 4 of 14
alan.quinn

If this is still an issue can you send me an image of it? You can export an image from within Revit by clicking on the big R – Export – Images and Animations – Image. Or you could use Jing or simply do a Print Screen.

Thank you,

Message 5 of 14
shawn

Hi Alan,

It's taken me a while to get back to this problem, but as you will see in the attached image, I still haven't managed to get rid of the lines arond the demoed window. As well as the problem with the pad used to create the window well cut in the toposurface. The topo surface won't seem to close up even though the pad and window well are gone. The pad, the window, and all retaining walls that define the well all share the same creation phase and demolition phase.

Does this help?

Message 6 of 14
alan.quinn

Take a look at the attached file. I modeled everything in existing and then I demoed the window, surrounding walls and the pad that create the hole. I then added a new piece of topo where the hole was, which in reality would have to be done, but it’s the only place where my lines won’t automatically clean up. As for everything else it all cleans up and I don’t see any lines from where my window was.

Let me know if the helps.

Message 7 of 14
shawn

Greetings again Alan,

Thank you very much for your last reply. I hate to keep harping on this same issue, but I just haven't been able to reslove it yet. 

I realize you must be very busy, but if you can spare the time to read and understand my questions, your help will be greatly appreciated.

I reviewed the file you included in your last reply and sure enough you don't seem to have the same problem I am having. There are so many variables that I suppose it's difficult to nail the exact cause down, but after reviewing the file you sent, the only difference I can see between what you did and what I did is that I created a separate phase called "demo" (between "existing" and "new") and I set the window, the well, and pad assembly to be demolished in the "demo" phase.

I see that in your file, you did not create a demo phase, but instead made use of the phase filter system to create veiws showing the demo phase and the new construction. Perhaps I have too many phases and have created some confusion for Revit. Could t his be causing the problem??? I could fold the new construction phase into the demo phase, rename the phase and use phase filters as you did, but I'm reluctant to do that unless my original method is the problem.

As for the topo question and the hole not patching - it seems a bit of a glitch that the topo doesn't heal when the pad is reomoved, but your solution is an acceptable work around if necessary. My only question (because I have a much more significant hole to fill in another area of the project) is how do you get the new TOPO patch to "snap" to or conform to the existing topo if the surface is not level and is much lager, has many corners, etc. Please see the attached image.

Once again, any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated... and while you are at it (sorry) I have a related, but different pad/topo question that I posted that has not recieved any useful responses. That post is called "BUILDING PADS DON'T SEEM TO RESPECT PHASES". Could you please take a look at that and give it a shot?  Thank you for your patience.

Shawn Graham

Consulting Designer

(PS, the pad creating the hole in the attached image is not part of the demo phase questions, but is actually from a future phase and is related to my other post referenced above in the last paragraph, but is useful for both questions.)

Message 8 of 14
bt1138

You should post the revit file, or post an edited, compacted version, keeping the bits and pieces that you want someone to look at. 

Message 9 of 14
alan.quinn

If you post the file, I'll be happy to look at it.

Thank you,

Message 10 of 14
bt1138

Alan,

We are having a similar thing with the demo lines not 'healing' on the elevation. So I thought I'd post mine to see what you think. Its on a Microsoft Cloud / Skydrive. (I tried and tried to make the file small enough to attach to this reply, but just could not get it to a point where I could attach it.)

We have the thing set up so that new walls have a red poche, and existing do not, in Plan. The offending section is outlined in red on the elevation.

Can you grab a look? I wonder if we are doing things similar to the original poster?

bt

--> http://cid-f062a64f7458de76.office.live.com/self.aspx/revit/zzz.rvt

Message 11 of 14
alan.quinn
in reply to: bt1138

The short answer is I’m not sure why your wall did not clean up, however, after I deleted the existing windows (noted in Demo South Elevation view), added then again and then deleted them the wall cleaned up. I’m guessing it may be the order of operations, what was deleted first, when was the new door installed, the phase you were working in, or something to that effect. Unfortunately I don’t have any additional latitude to continue trouble shooting, but at least you have a work-a-round.

Having said that you should always set up your file in a similar manner to the one attached to this message. If you have an existing building and you know you are going to do demo work, you need to create all you views ahead of time that correspond. E.G. Existing, Demo and Completed for your plans and elevations. This way moving between the phases is easy and all you have to do is look at the correct view. 

Click here to see the file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11938886/AQMOD_zzz.rvt

Hope this helps and thank you,

Message 12 of 14
bt1138

Thanks!

I'll take a look at your file.

It is true that the phasing setup we are using in that file was a 'work in progress', and it may be as you say - We did tweak the phases and materials and overrides quite a few times before we got the look we wanted. 

bt

Message 13 of 14
shawn
in reply to: bt1138

Okay everyone... mark this as a solution.

I'm the original poster of this "demo outline remains" issue posted some months back and I just found the solution after ignoring it this long.

As always, really quite simple when you figure it out - but the issue was, and I'm not sure how this happened, but after the demoed window was replaced with new wall in the "new construction phase" (which Revit does automatically), somehow the infill was tagged as "non-bearing". The problem is that the host wall was "bearing". Once I saw this in the properties dialog and corrected it, the ghost lines disappeard in all section and elevation views. Obviously Revit was trying to tell me that the infill and the original wall were not the same - but why they weren't I don't know.

For those of you who are not following me...to fix this problem go to any view with the lines (sections and elevations) and then select and let your cursor rest over the lines to highlight them. The properties dialog will then have very view items in it, but one of them should be "structural usage", make sure the "bearing" or "non-bearing", whatever is relavant, is selected. Your lines should then disappear. The only tricky part is to make sure you select the infill and not the whole wall or host element.

Man, those little details can really be a trip.

Thanks to all who offered help.

Shawn Graham

Designer.

Message 14 of 14
alan.quinn

Nice catch, and yes, it’s all in the details!! Thanks for posting your solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report