Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleting imported categories

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
Kev300
57677 Views, 38 Replies

deleting imported categories

I inserted CAD files and erased them from all views once I no longer needed them, yet some CAD files are still listed in the Visibility/Graphics menu under Imported Categories. I found a previous tread that advised to just select and delete from the menu, but there is no way to select and delete from the list. How can I simply clear out all imported categories? There has to be a way. Thanks
38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
sbrown
in reply to: Kev300

settings>object styles> select the subcategory>click delete.
Message 3 of 39
Kev300

I tried it, and erased all the layers one by one, but it won't let me erase the main category that says the .dwg name. I guess there's no way to remove it.
Message 4 of 39
Anonymous

Go to the Project Browser, find the impotred DWG in the list, right click on
it, hit "select all instances" the hit Delete key. That should tkae care of
it!

wrote in message news:4981169@discussion.autodesk.com...
I tried it, and erased all the layers one by one, but it won't let me erase
the main category that says the .dwg name. I guess there's no way to remove
it.
Message 5 of 39
munsellh

i have the same issue. unfortunately when i go to the Project browser i don't have an option for imported DWG. i have 4 categories which are left over from imported DWG's that i deleted.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Howard
Message 6 of 39
Anonymous

Yeah, you are right.....DWGs are not shown in the project browser. Let me
come up with something....I'll get back to this thread in a bit....

wrote in message news:5051188@discussion.autodesk.com...
i have the same issue. unfortunately when i go to the Project browser i
don't have an option for imported DWG. i have 4 categories which are left
over from imported DWG's that i deleted.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Howard
Message 7 of 39
johnson293

We have the same problem - did you come up with a fix?

Our problem seems to be a Topographical survey that was imported now seems to be causing additional issues due to the 3D coordinates in the file - so we need to remove all refrence to it if possible.

Thanks

MJ
Message 8 of 39
marchese

I too am having the same problem. Able to delete all of the subcategories, but not the main DWG. We brought in CAD details, did a partial explode and changed everything to Revit lines and text. Can anyone shed some light on the imported categories situation?

Thanks,
Jim
Message 9 of 39
Seala.Lebona

To delete families and types using the Purge Unused tool. 1. Click Manage tabSettings panel (Purge Unused). The Purge unused dialog lists all the families and family types that you can unload from the project, including system and in-place families. By default, all unused families are selected for purging. 2. Click Check None. 3. Click the "+" (expand) on the 'main DWG'. 4. Expand Imported Symbol. 5. Check the unwanted 'main DWG' box. 6. Click OK.
Macamito
Message 10 of 39
regalith
in reply to: Seala.Lebona

We have the same problem.  Can't find a way  to purge or delete imported CAD categories.  Has anyone found a solution?

Chris

Message 11 of 39
ryan.duell
in reply to: regalith

I would also verify the prcoess in the post below:

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/05/purge-imported-categories.html

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 12 of 39
bsaunders

To All,

We at my firm have had this problem for ages.  I think the last remaining problem after doing the above solutions is that some familes have dwg(s) embedded into them.  I have not completely tested this theory yet as going into each of the families looking for dwg imports might take some time.  I will report back on our success or failure in this. 

Message 13 of 39
eddyhaja7817

I think I've found your solution.  I was also unable to purge out some imported categories.  I imported an Autocad title block to recreate it in Revit.  I noticed it purged out some items but not all of them.  I also notice that all of the items that didn't purge un unchecked in the visibily/graphics overrides window.  I decided to check them all, and tried to purge again and TADA!  In the purge window, a quanity for addition number of imported categories to purge at the bottom.  I'm new to Revit, but it seems like Autodesk wants to keep things quirky like Autocad is.

Message 14 of 39

I know it's an old thread but has anyone got any updates on this?

Had the same struggle myself to get rid of imported categories from VG after deleting all their layers one by one to no avail. I then followed what suggested here and re-import the original DWG into Revit to hopefully then do "Select All Instances". Guess what, Revit appended a number "(1)" to the new imported file's name, making it unique from the previous type, and laughed in my face!

For those on this same boat, I'm afraid the only quick way to purge these is to use an add-in which accesses the imported object from the Revit API to select and then ultimately remove it. I use DWG Explorer because it can visually locate individual dwgs in the model and also let me selectively delete imported objects directly from VG. Just a personal preference, check similar apps out there to see what suits your style.
https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=2447830529583959175&appLang=en&os=Win64

It would have been much easier if Revit listed imported types in the Project Browser like a normal family so that we could just right-click, select all instances and then Delete. Guys, please ask for this feature to be included in the future on the Revit Idea Station page below. It will make our lives much easier 😞
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/idb-p/302/tab/most-recent

Message 15 of 39

@eddyhaja7817 @alan.smith.superuser @bsaunders @ryan.duell @Kev300 

I have also this problem. I would appreciate it if you vote for the idea that Autodesk solve this in its future release.

Please find the Idea in the link below;

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/adding-imported-and-linked-documents-to-project-browser/i...

Thanks.

Message 16 of 39
vince.andawi
in reply to: NeginGHShir

@NeginGHShir wrote:

@eddyhaja7817 @alan.smith.superuser @bsaunders @ryan.duell @Kev300 

I have also this problem. I would appreciate it if you vote for the idea that Autodesk solve this in its future release.

Please find the Idea in the link below;

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/adding-imported-and-linked-documents-to-project-browser/i...

Thanks.

Message 17 of 39

You don't need to purge or purge wouldn't really work specaialy if it is already on one of your view and you don't know. All what you need to do is find the view that shows the inserted CAD or DXF or ...etc and delete it it will disappear from you imported categories.

Hope this helps.

Message 18 of 39
NeginGHShir
in reply to: mmarzoukBPWFZ

Hi, 

The problem is, it is not easy sometimes to find the views with the CAD files. And if you do not be able to find the view then you are block and could not remove the imported CAD.

Message 19 of 39
sean.fruin
in reply to: NeginGHShir

Dynamo can help!Delete Imported Instance.png

Tags (1)
Message 20 of 39
Tania.Sierra
in reply to: sean.fruin

I had this issue and it is really annoying. I found Dynamo useful and also an add-un called RF tools>Parameter Transformer>filter>entire project>custom filter>imported categories CAD links> '>>' >Isolate> Delete.

Please refer to the images below:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report