Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Assets from the Asset Browser

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
PSchem
2930 Views, 5 Replies

Deleting Assets from the Asset Browser

Hello,

I'm updating our Revit template in Revit Structure 2013. When I look into the Asset Browser in the unreferenced library there are a lot of Assets wich are incremented [(1), (2), (3),...]. I don't need these Assets in my template, but I can't remove them because the unreferenced folder is locked. How can I delete these Assets?

Patrick Schemkes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
GaryFidler4305
in reply to: PSchem

Any answers to this one anybody. Seeing as we added them in the first place would be good to be able to delete mistakes.!!

Message 3 of 6
AJA14
in reply to: GaryFidler4305

Hi. The graphics asset is there by defualt. You have 3 other assets you can add, appearance, thermal, and physical.

The appearance asset only controls the rendering appearance in addition to the realistic visual style and ray trace if applicable. Therefore, if you add it, you can only replace it. It has no other significance.

The thermal and physical assets can be deleted at any time. If you hover over the asset in the materials editor, you will get an x at the end which allows you to remove that asset.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 4 of 6
rvanhethof

So all I can find is these 2 to 3 year old posts.  Why can we not purge unused Assets?

I am in the process of setting up "clean" Family Templates.  I have deleted every last Material.  There are no geometries so no materials are being used.  There are none designated in Object Styles.  Why does a purge come up with nothing?  I have a bunch of Assets (some with the "(1)" duplication indication) that I simply cannot get rid of.

I have scoured the internet.  There doesn't seem to be a solution.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.  I do not want to set up a template that will be used many times to create content with a bunch of junk Assets in it that will just populate project files...

Message 5 of 6

Hi,

I was just having the same problem. No way to delete through material browser.

You can purge unused assets though through the manage tab.

Buy why you cant delete things through the browser I dont know. Its the same with families, some you can delete through the browser, some only through the purge menu.

Another example of fine autodesk programming, no consistency in work flow, they wonder why people get confused and frustrated.

Keep up the good work guys, the price of revit must surely go through the roof when its finally out of beta testing! oh wait.........

Message 6 of 6
TimSargent

To fully remove an unwanted asset from a project file, you will need to remove them from the "Document Assets".

Go to: Manage Tab, Settings Pane, Additional Settings dropdown, Material Assets, Open/Close Asset Browser. From the left menu, under Appearance Library, Document Assets. From the list on the left, locate the asset, Right click, delete. 

I needed this workflow to remove mysterious (1)'s at the end of asset Names.
Eg. 
Gypsum Wall Board 
Gypsum Wall Board(1)
Gypsum Wall Board(2)

Loading from the "Document Assets" will share and reuse SharedAsset.png the asset between multiple materials. Similar to a family type.
Loading from the Materials Library will create a new GUID-3A36C079-3F4D-48F7-8A12-6A691A303ACB.png asset with the same name plus (1) or (2) etc. Similar to duplicating a type.
If you're like me and were having trouble renaming assets to not include (1) or (2) this is why. The asset without the number already exists in the Document Assets. But has been removed from all materials. It's waiting to be used in the "Document Assets"

Note: This will delete the asset, even if it is assigned to a material. Ensure you know that none of the deleted assets are needed prior to removing the asset. For example deleting a Physical asset that is being used for analysis. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report