Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining slab edges

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
shayan_setayeshgar
724 Views, 11 Replies

Defining slab edges

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any way to detect and define edges of the slabs and also the opening within the slab, or if there is any way to automatically detect slab’s openings in Autodesk Revit (Structure, Architecture or MEP)

In other words what is important for me is to select boundary lines which shape the slab and openings (if there is any) not the mass.

Bests, 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

If I understand your question correctly you want to be able to select an edge of a slab or an opening in a slab. To do this you must select the slab or tab to the opening and then go to Modify > Mode > Edit Boundary.

Message 3 of 12

Thanks for your reply, 

but no i want to be able to select it in the main page of Revit, not in edit boundary mode. some how like a new object as slab boundaries to detect the openings and edgee of the slab.

my other question is that if revit is able to detect opening in a slab?
(because i tested the area feature in revit architecture in a slab without opening and the same slab with opening, and it gaves me the same area for both)

Message 4 of 12

Sounds like you need to lock your slab edge to some reference planes so you can select the reference planes directly. As far as I know you cannot select an edge without going into edit sketch mode.

About the area. It works fine here

Message 5 of 12

do you know any other BIM software wich allows me to do so?

or do you think if i can do this by using Revit API? 

Message 6 of 12

What exactly you trying to do in the end once you have the edges and holes?  You can edit the boundary and cut the sketch lines to the clipboard for use somewhere else if that is what you need to do.

The edges can be found/located/constrained in reference to other elements in the model if that is what you are looking to do.

If you can shed more light on what the end goal or the over all workflow is there may be a way to accomplish what you want to do but there is not enough information to know at this point. 

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 7 of 12

I am proposing new preventing program for improving workers safety using BIM model. 
My focus is on falling hazards during construction. In order to detect the hazardous areas I should detect the edges of the slabs and openings where we have a high risk of falling.

The important thing is that I don’t want to change the design procedure. Regardless of how the construction is modeled I am looking for a way to automatically detect the slab’s edges and openings.

Message 8 of 12

Thanks for the clarification.  For what you are looking to do there is no way to directly do this in Revit through the UI.  You can find edges for things but Revit has  no real idea of what the edge belongs to.  Like say only find edges of slabs.  You would have to somehow isolate the thing first and then locate edges.

There is probably a way to do this via the API.  I am not a "code" guy so I can be sure but I suspect there is aq way to get at either the sketch of the slab element or to be able to isolate the element in the view and then find the edges. 

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 9 of 12

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.

How can I make sure that this is possible using Revit API? I mean where should I ask?

Message 10 of 12

There is a discussion forum specifically for the Revit API here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-API/bd-p/160

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 11 of 12

Thank you very much 

Message 12 of 12
duncan.lithgow
in reply to: loboarch

I looked here at the Revit API Search engine: http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=003379886482190238526:wi7yjrtrkd8 for 'slab edge' and found this post which looks like it's about your issue: http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2008/10/slab-boundary.html

Good luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report