Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Link "leftovers"

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gustavomello
1147 Views, 3 Replies

DB Link "leftovers"

Hi to all,

i´m using DB Link with Revit 2012 and Access, mainly to do quantity takeoffs and model checking by now. I´m having a problem when i change the revit model and export to access again: some elements are "duplicated" in the process. I managed to isolate the issue on a floor case. I made a floor with a material and exported to access; checked with a query and everything is ok. Then i went back to revit and applied a different material (duplicated from the original) to the floor. After updating the access file through DB Link i end seeing 2 floors, one with the new material and the other with the old material, wich is not supposed to exist at all. The problem is that DB Link doesn´t delete the original material reference from the "materials quantities" and "materials" tables, so access shows "two" floors with two different materials when i run the query again.

If i delete the tables every time i update the model i solve the problem, but it seems to me that DB Link should delete the old entries from the tables.

Am i doing something wrong here? Is this the right behavior of DB Link?

Thanks in advance,

Gustavo

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
raj_mir
in reply to: gustavomello

I have also encountered this problem but with revit 2016 and SQL but I think I may know what is the issue.  I have noticed that the material quantities table have multiple primary keys (3 to be exact) which allows to have different materials for the same elements when the model is exported. As per my understanding each export should delete the previous record for the same material. On the other hand I can understand that an element  may be composite in nature so multiple entries are needed. 

If you know what else is wrong please respond. 

Message 3 of 4
gustavomello
in reply to: raj_mir

Hi Raj, thank you for your response. Sadly, although I like DbLink very much, i don't use it anymore due to office politics and the apparent lack of support from autodesk to DbLink. We are now using Dynamo to manage quantity takeoffs. But what you are saying makes sense.

Thank you,

Gustavo

Message 4 of 4
eric
in reply to: raj_mir

We've just run into this exact issue.  The Materials Quantities table does not delete the old record if the material is assigned.  This seems pretty critical function level and I'm surprised it's never been fixed.  I have now replicated it twice predictably.  If you export.  Then change the material selection for an element layer in the model and export again, it duplicates, so if you change your stud layer to softwood, you will be immediately scheduling both.  I can't imagine how for off this sends materials take-offs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report