Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Link and ODBC Export differences

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tomislav_zigo
1447 Views, 5 Replies

DB Link and ODBC Export differences

Can someone explain why is there a difference between DB link and ODBC Export. Both exporters are omitting several different tables, and the available fields. For example ODBC will export Mass Element Surfaces but it will not include Categories table and Shared parameters in project information table, while DB Link cannot see Mass Surface types.

In order to see the entire database one needs to export twice, through ODBC and via DB link.

I would say that this is a bit inconvenient.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ccollins
in reply to: tomislav_zigo

I'm not sure why there are such differences.

But I had a thought........

What if you exported to 3D dwfx and imported into Adesk QTO--would you see the Mass surfaces and the parameters?

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 6
tomislav_zigo
in reply to: ccollins

That might work, but it does not offer the flexibility of cross-referencing data from multiple sources within the familiar environment like SQL server.

Message 4 of 6
tomislav_zigo
in reply to: ccollins

DWF doesn't carry mass element associated surface information that is necessary for the rapid take off.

Message 5 of 6
GlynnisVP
in reply to: tomislav_zigo

I'm also not sure how to explain the differences between those two tools.  I can only say, that as a software developer, we too have struggled to make sure all the various parameters are exposed for our tool, and in many cases it's been unearthed only after a specific request has been made.  In other words, it's not all neatly organized in some list, waiting for us to published (though I wish it was).

Here's a screenshot of how we expose the parameters related to Masses.  I'd be curious to know if even this would meet your needs?  Fields in grey would be editable (in Excel).

Regards,

Glynnis Patterson, Architect

www.ideatebimlink.com | www.ideateexplorer.com

Message 6 of 6
tomislav_zigo
in reply to: GlynnisVP

Glynnis,

Linking properties is not an issue, whether done through custom API or using SQL and Forms to work with a database. What, concerns me is the inconsistency between two tools that are created for bridging the gap between an object database and relational one.

For my purpose I am getting what I need, but it would be much nicer to do this in a consistent way.

Regards,

Tomislav

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report