Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date/Time does not update when saving, must save as to different location

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BillDewson6668
1606 Views, 3 Replies

Date/Time does not update when saving, must save as to different location

I have one Revit architecture file that is somehow bugged - windows explorer displays it as an incorrect date/time after I save the file.

I can then save as to a different folder location, go to that location, copy the file, go back to the location with the incorrect date/time and paste.  The copy dialogue window pops up, and shows that the file that displayed incorrectly was saved at the proper time.

Windows 7, 64bit

Revit architecture 2011

not using central files, its only me working on the file

any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rosskirby
in reply to: BillDewson6668

Did you try refreshing the window in Explorer (right-click --> Refresh)?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 4
ryan.duell
in reply to: BillDewson6668

In addition to rosskirby’s suggestion, I would ensure the file is not locked by explorer.exe.  You can see some additional information below:

Thumbnail Previews and Locked Files in Windows Explorer

Is there a correct thumbnail for the file?  And if you want you can test with an application such as lockhunter [mentioned in the post] to see if the file is locked.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Tags (3)
Message 4 of 4
BillDewson6668
in reply to: ryan.duell

Thanks guys,

First in response to the refresh suggestion - it is not that.  I can create a MS word file in the same folder, and the date/time update correctly everytime I save.

When I save the Revit file, the date/time doesn't update in Windows explorer.

However, if I copy the file to a different folder on my computer the date/time magically shows corrected!

I don't think its a locked file, as I can still copy, open, rename, delete the file.

As for correct thumbnail, are you talking about the 'recent files' screen when you open Revit?

It does have a thumbnail.  And when I mouseover the file name, it shows the correct date/time of the file, even though in windows explorer it still shows the incorrect date/time.

I think the file is being updated/saved properly, it just seems like there is a bug with Windows 7 explorer + this Revit file + the particular folder that the file is in.

To solve my issue, I am just going to make a new folder, copy the file into it, and work from there.  I'll see if this issue starts to happen again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report