Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut Geometry

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
nkoeppe
660 Views, 9 Replies

Cut Geometry

Hi,

I need help resolving the corner condition where two boards intersect.

I am not able to create a void in order to cut the corner for the geomentry.

I would like to shape more than one side of the board and make it rounded. How do I edit the different sides of the geometry?

Please see attachment for Revit model:

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: nkoeppe

Families can be done in several ways, but just not in any way. Families require some planning, a certain workflow, in order to obtain a result that is parametric and easy to modify. It is not just a process of adding piece by piece. That is what you are doing: building the planter piece by piece, and now you are in trouble with all those corners. The more pieces you add, the more difficult it is to obtain the objective, which is: a family that is parametric and easy to modify.

In this case, a good an efficient plan is this:

• Make a 2D profile family with the exact half section of the planter, and load this profile into a model family.
  • In the model family, make a solid by Sweep, with a square as the path, and the profile family as the sketch.

For more information about profile families, nested families, and sweeps, please refer to Wiki-help.

planter_workflow.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 10
vector2
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

yeah but suppose they want those bottom boards rounded at the corners?

Message 4 of 10
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: vector2

@Anonymous wrote:

yeah but suppose they want those bottom boards rounded at the corners?

Simple, Vector. In that case, you modify the profile, removing the part that makes the boards, and then do the board as a separate sweep, with a little fillet radius on the corners of the square. That's my point. A good workflow makes the family easy to modify.

planter_workflow2.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 10
vector2

That's why you are a Pro and I'm not. 

Absolutely great training for approaching the creation of a family.

Here is what I ended up with, but I approached it all the wrong

way like you said.

Message 6 of 10
nkoeppe

Hello,

Thank you so much, I have been working on this planter Box for 4 days now. Your Reply was very helpful and definetly will work for a rending.  

How would I go about dividing the feet from the box from the slats on the sides?

I was building it that way because the design will eventually be a modular product design. I was thinking of it as a kit of parts that could be assembled. I guess the entire planter box could be a single mold though...

Message 7 of 10
nkoeppe
in reply to: vector2

Thats a very good observation because I actually did want to add a finishing piece at the top that is rounded. Thanks for asking a good question!

Message 8 of 10
nkoeppe

How did you keep the drainage hole in the middle? Or did you make it after with a viod extrusion?

Message 9 of 10
nkoeppe

I made a profile in the family and it doesn't seem to be working. It says "Lines cannot intersect each other. The highlighted lines currently intersect." The highlighed lines are not showing and I do not know what to fix. Please help.

Message 10 of 10
vector2

Those pink lines have to be one continuous loop. Like a circle.

And with no pieces of pink lines apart from that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report