Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom leader arrow - dot ?

68 REPLIES 68
SOLVED
Message 1 of 69
MKEllis
53749 Views, 68 Replies

Custom leader arrow - dot ?

Hi, yet more queies here.

I'm placing tags, but the standard leader arrows do not include a 'dot' that I tend to use as a standard.

I can edit the type - and access the drop-down list, and I've also looked for an annotation family for leader arrow, but cannot find any either.

Is there a way of using a dot - or of creating a custom leader arrow type as a family and making my own filled circle ?

Thanks

68 REPLIES 68
Message 2 of 69
MKEllis
in reply to: MKEllis

It's always the way, spend 30 mins trying to figure it out, post a query, then stumble across the solution.

I've figured out how to do it - if anyone else searches this - here's how I did it:

From the Manage Tab, select Additional Settings, and click Arrowheads

That brings up the usual Edit Type dialogue box, select any of the standard arrows from the Type prompt - then duplicate it giving it a unique name - I called mine 'Dot - Filled'

From the Arrow Style - I selected Dot, ticked Filled, and set a Tick size at 1mm, clicked apply and OK.

Then back in the Tag Edit Type box - I again duplicated to create a new type - and selected the 'Dot - Filled' that now appears in the drop down list.

Message 3 of 69
LisaDrago

Ha Smiley Very Happy- that is usually the way it works - I am glad you found it!

Thanks for posting the answer too -  to help others.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 4 of 69
MikeKeller
in reply to: LisaDrago

Would be nice if there was some way to make a truly custom arrow.  We just got Revit at my new job and the boss Boss has a very specific arrow that we us in Autocad and is very disippointed that it is not an option in Revit.  

Message 5 of 69
LisaDrago

While I can agree with making a custom arrow - There needs to be a fundamental change in thinking when making the switch from AutoCAD to Revit - not everything will look the same.

You are using two totally different software packages.

Clear expectations need to be set right up front that everything will not be the same.

Everything will look just a little different, arrows, fonts, walls, details, etc...

Just have to remind them that while change can be a bit painful - ultimately change is good!

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 6 of 69

Oh dear, oh dear.

We spend 30 years working on drawing schema and sheet graphics. Finally, we bury all the squabbles with the partners and senior techs. We train 2 or 3 generations of interns - designers - architects - technicians etc etc etc. and NOW when we have what we want, Revit says we can't have it?

No no no - the way a design is presented is as much a part of a corporate identity as logos, drawing schema, letterheads, invoice forms, change orders and so on ad infinitum.

Clear expectations need to be set right up front that everything will not be the same - WHAT?  Doesn't this apply to Autodesk as well?  ..."You can any colour you like have as long as it's black"?

Come on, guys - you have to be kidding! You are trying to sell THIS idea to some of the most arrogant, opinionated, pigheaded people on the planet - and ANY designer worth their salt HAS to be that way or they won't have enough moxie to fight for their ideas - AND WIN. How far do you think the profession would get if we told clients that "You can't have THAT design" or "I can design much better than this, but my software won't let me..."

I'll tell you how far - as far as the next architect's office to wave them goodbye...

Jeez .... that has to be one of the most astonishing statements I have ever heard addressed to a client group.

Rethink.... rethink.... rethink.... rethink...

CC

Message 7 of 69

I guess 30 years wasn't enough training...

Message 8 of 69
ToanDN
in reply to: francfiles

There lies the fine line separating architects and graphic designers.
Message 9 of 69

Seems to me that if you put as many years into researching software before you buy it as you do designing, fighting over, redesigning, training for, arguing about, and redesigning your company's leader line arrow, perhaps this wouldn't be such a shocking surprise.

To be fair, you can make any leader line arrow you like as a detail item and place it as a dumb element just like you would in Autocad. Heck, you could even design one into a tag with a length parameter and rotation angle to point where you want it to point. It just isn't going to have OOTB tag leader behavior, that's all.

No software is perfect. There are always places somebody is going to think, "I wish it did X," or, "It should do Y like this instead of like that." I'm not making excuses for Revit. I wish it had exactly all the funtionality that I imagine in my head I want it to have. I wish it was designed as I envision its perfect incarnation would be. But it isn't. It's designed and coded by other people who had their own ideas about it, and those people weren't focused on beautiful drawings being their priority.

You can be part of an industry revolution, or you can spend the next 30 years training interns how to whine about arrows.

Message 10 of 69
francfiles
in reply to: chrisplyler

THAT WAS REALLY FUNNY... Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 69
ANDYHOMAN1
in reply to: LisaDrago

trying to create a two segment leader with parametric segments, ie. change the line wt. of each segment separately and connect the leader to a circle like the callout. This would look and act like our office standard in autocad. Thanks for any help

Message 12 of 69
ToanDN
in reply to: ANDYHOMAN1

Can you post a screenshot of what it looks like?
Message 13 of 69
ANDYHOMAN1
in reply to: ANDYHOMAN1

Message 14 of 69
ANDYHOMAN1
in reply to: ToanDN

not sure if I attached the image properly...good luck...
also not sure how the leaders find a family to attach ...
guess there is a lot I'm still learning.
thanks for your help,
Andy
Message 15 of 69
nahmed87

Thanks, it worked.
Message 16 of 69

I made my own leader family.  It works better than the Revit one inasmuch as I can create an arrow with an angle wider than 90°.  The Revit leader is pretty basic and not well thought out.  Just create a leader as a family that looks the way you would like it drawn.

Message 17 of 69
mukfee.often
in reply to: chrisplyler

It seems to me that if Autodesk spent more time on working things out so that users could show their drawings the way they want to, and less time telling us how we should be showing things (wall mounted lighting for example???), many people would be much happier.  Autodesk has touted Revit as a "design software, not drafting software" for many years now.  The problem being, you have to draft in order to get the information to the builders.  Therefor, you have to also draft on Revit.  So instead of telling people to get with the times, accusing them of whining, you might pull your lips from the cheeks of Autodesk and look at the problems that are being addressed all the time.  One of them being the lack of customization inside the software. 

Message 18 of 69

Pardon my butting in but, I'd like to point out something from the Autodesk side of the fence.  I've been a techie for 2 different resellers and while I haven't been brainwashed, having worked with Autocad in places ranging from Alaska to Dublin, I can see where they're trying to succeed with this problem.

Autocad (as well as most Autodesk Products) are made for a WORLDWIDE audience of users.  The way they do things in Dublin are completely different from the way they do things in places like Portland, OR, Phoenix, San Jose, New York, and a host of other places I've worked.

The best thing to do instead of sitting back bad mouthing the program and how they don't fit your miniscule issues is to put in a Wish List item.  Then you'll see either others putting in responces of how they worked around it OR, someone else with the same problem and wishing Autodesk will fix the problems.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know they can't go in and fix every single leaderhead we want to draw with and some people will just have to learn to adjust their drawings to the Autodesk or Industry standard.. Really, to have 2 different thicknesses of linewieghts on one arrowhead??  Make a new arrow block, assign it a name, and start using it as a workaround.  But, then ask yourself "Is this something a multi-billion dollar company is going to put the manpower towards when those same folks are working night and day to make major improvements to all the various programs they're developing and acquiring from other companies. 

When all else fails, look for lisp routines on this and other websites that are free to modify (for the most part.. I've never charged for a lisp routine, paying it forward so to speak).  Sometimes, you'll get a lot of people telling you it can't be done but, then again, you might run across one guy sitting in a dark office with 6 computers running all around him that will pop in and say "Just change this to this.." and presto it's done.

Once you get the answer, be sure and post the fix here on this website or on one of the other websites you may have posted the question on.  Someone might be able to use part of that code to do something else they want to do as well. 

Then... one day.. They'll issue an Express Tool with your routine (or one they've cleaned up for that worldwide audience and you can smile and be on your way.

Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!
Message 19 of 69

Your post, and the attitude contained within it are the problem. People
need to learn to adjust their drawings or to comply with an industry
standard? No. That's not an acceptable.

A drawing is almost like a signature. Every firm, every arch, engineer,
designer, drafter - they all have little things that make the drawings
their own. Nothing that creates issues for the final contractor in the
field. You're telling us all that we just need to shut up and deal with
it, and I'm saying that you need to shut up and stop defending them.
Message 20 of 69
LisaDrago
in reply to: mukfee.often

Okay guys @mukfee.often and @grumpygrizzly...

Every program, just like every person, has limitations.

Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts.

Lets keep on topic of the thread.

LD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report