Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved Windows

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bward
625 Views, 7 Replies

Curved Windows

Does anyone know how to create a new window family for a curved wall? I have a lot of punched openings in a curved wall and really would like to use a hosted family. Currently I am working around the issue by using an embedded curtain wall and changing the wall tag to look like a window tag.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
melarch
in reply to: bward

It would seem to me you could create a curved window in a Family (RFA) using the window.rte template or create-in-place windows in your project. Both methods provide controls for labeling radial parameters and tagging as a window. I am assuming you want a window with curve glazing, not just a window that fits into a curved wall with glazing that is straight (acting as the chord) across the wall curve.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.
Message 3 of 8
bward

I need the mullions to be segmented and the glass to be straight. I have made several windows and doors using the RFA, but I'm not sure how to have a curved parameter is I can't get the hosted wall of the family to curve. I will give it a try and let you know if it works.
Message 4 of 8
melarch

Probably a Create-In-Place window will work the best.

Mel Persin, AIA
MasterGraphics, Inc.
Message 5 of 8
unjust

think a void based on a radius and either length of ray or length of arc segment. build out from there the bits you need.
Message 6 of 8
sbrown

If the mullions are segmented and the glass is straight use a curtain wall. create a curtain wall type called window and set the vertical grid spacing to the segment length you want and use mullions the size of your window frame. then check the box that says embed automatically, then draw this wall with the arc tool and set the base and top offset as needed.
Message 7 of 8
melarch

Do you also want the horizontal mullions to follow the curve shape of the wall, then a curtain wall will not deliver horizontal mullions that are curved, but straight as the glazing panels.

To get a completely customized window with curved mullions and glazing use the Create-in-place tool.

Mel Persin, AIA
MasterGraphics, Inc.
Message 8 of 8
bward

Sounds like the in-place family is the way to go. Thanks to all for the advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report