Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

curved wall needs straight window or straight wall opening

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2172 Views, 11 Replies

curved wall needs straight window or straight wall opening

I have a curved wall in my building and when you place a window or wall opening the opening follows the curve of the wall. 

The architect wants the windows (wall openings) to sit parallel to the straight gable walls.

Please see print screen image attached. It shows the curved wall with the windows placed (along curve). The green model lines show the position we want the window to sit.

I have tried aligning wall openings to the staright model lines but it doesn't work.

Any help on this subject would be great.

(I'm using Revit 2015)

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
enslinj
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

Not sure how familiar you are with parametrics so I am going to try keep it as simple as possible.

You going to have to take the window you have placed far & do a save-as of the family to ensure you don’t override all the windows in your project.

Edit Family:

Select the wall in the family & using type selector change wall to same thinness as wall in project.
Delete the default wall opening in the window family. (Window is now inside the wall & not visible). In plan draw a solid extrusion of what the opening should look like. (Based on measurements in project)
Change to front elevation view & align the extrusion with the ref. planes representing the height of the aperture in wall (sill height & head height)
Click on this new extrusion you created & change it to a “void” using the properties dialog.
Solid / Void drop-down (right at the bottom of the properties dialog)
Shape will have an orange outline to show it’s a void, but it’s not cutting anything just yet.
Click cut geometry, click the wall & than the void.

The wall will now be cut according to your preferred angle & not the standard 90deg cut.

Save, load & replace your existing windows.

NOTE: This family isn’t parametric & can’t change size. If this is a requirement you will have to post the window family you are using.

Hope this helps

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: enslinj

I will try this tomorrow. Thank you for your help 🙂

Sent from my iPhone
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Hi,

I'm using a 900mm wide window. I clicked on the window and hit edit family, and save as new window family but the window width is now 540mm. When I try to change it to 900mm it won't let me.

Please see the attached print screen. It is asking aboutthe heat transfer co-efficient. This pop up occurrs when I try to change the width of the window to 900mm.

Message 5 of 12
ennujozlagam

hi Is there any way you can post your window family or send to my private email.

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 6 of 12
enslinj

Hi there,

As mentioned,please post the window family.

Also please specify the height & width you need the window to be as well as the angle difffernce between what you getting & what you want the cut to do in plan to be.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

The wall is curved and when I place the window, it follows the curve of the wall and sits at an angle. I would like the window to sit at 90 degree angle, so the wall is curved but the windows are placed straight. 

Please see the print screens attached. The green model lines show the angle I want to windows to sit at in the wall.

The window is 900 wide, 2700 high, sill height 0.00.

Thanks for all your help.

kylie

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

the angle difference is 12.44 degrees

Message 9 of 12
enslinj

Perfect, opening is cut the way you want it. Just need to make the window.

Can you post or PM your window?

Alternatively, I am going to have to create a "generic" which may not be what you want & than the exercise becomes pointless.

Thx

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Morning Junne,

Thank you for taking the time to do this for me, but the bad news is…it didn’t work 😞

I placed the window family you sent me in my curved wall but the problem is not resolved. (See image ‘new window placed’). The window still follows the curve of the wall and is not sitting at a 90 degree angle as I would like.

The second print screen  shows what happens after I saved your window family and made the changes suggested in your first proposal. It won’t let me place the window after I made those changes.

Didn’t think it would be this difficult haha!

Regards,

Kylie

Message 11 of 12
enslinj

Hi,

Attached is a generic window, I havent made it fully parametic because I dont know the contruction of the family you looking to use in your actual project.

It will result in double work.

Try the attached family and see if this get you closer to what you what you want.

Again trying to assist you without the actual family is making this process more tricky.

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

i got it to work 🙂

drew a window using model in place but only drew the opening of the window dimensions i wanted using void extrusion.

then i used a curtain wall glazing and changed the dimensions to match the window dimeniosns i wanted and disallowed the joins (right click the blue circles at either end and hit disallow join) if you don't do this it won't let you place the glazing in the opening.

then i added mullions and will add cill later 🙂

thanks for all your help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report