Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain Walling - A couple of Queries.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
MKEllis
828 Views, 7 Replies

Curtain Walling - A couple of Queries.

We need to setup a couple of Curtain Walling 'Types' - ie a handful of standard curtain walling configurations (with doors, glazing, solid panels) that are repeated across the building (and any change updates all instances).

Is there no way to set them up to act as a family and be scheduled ?

For the moment, we are grouping them, and copying the groups around the model, and relying on a filtered wall schedule (using the keynote H11) to list all curtain walling areas. Trouble is, whilst this does schedule the number and areas correctly, it doesn't allow us to label each repeating type.

We would prefer to have each group/type of CW labelled ie. "Curtain Walling Type 1" so that we can refer to a separate curtain walling elevation sheet.

Is Revit still not able to have Curtain Walls appear on a Legend ? we're still using a cropped view of a specifc instance to show the elevation.

Many thanks,

Martin

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MKEllis
in reply to: MKEllis

Sorry, forgot the second question:

How do you control the visibility / detail level of curtain walling elements in plan/section ?

I might be missing something obvious - but where can we refine the appearance of mullions to show simple rectangle at coarse/medium and the more detailed profile at fine ?

Thanks again,

Martin

Message 3 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

About your first question, what you are doing at the moment is probably what most users do. Another alternative that might work for tagging elements by type would be to make an assembly of a set of panels and curtain mullions. That can be tagged with a type mark.

About the second question, that works only if you load a detail component family (showing the detailed version of the mullion) into the curtain mullion profile family. The detail part is set to show only in the fine level of detail. The other alternative is to make a callout of a simple mullion, and show the detailed version in the callout view.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 8
MKEllis
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo, tried playing around with the CW setup as an assembly - you are right - it does allow tagging by type, but it seems to introduce too many other unwanted side effects (the assembly does not include gridlines, I can only seem to move it in x and z axis, not y, door is no longer taggable etc.).

I think I'll stick with the Group method for the momentand try and find a means of manually adding type references (there aren't too many types, just quite a lot of 'instances' of each type).

It's a shame you cannot add a Project Parameter to a Group, you could then create a label for each group.

Out of interest, what is the family type:

"Metric Window - Curtain Wall.rft"

used for ?

For a second, I thought you could maybe use it to create custom CW setups, but it doesn't give you access to the grid/mullion tools associated with curtain walling.

One other thought - and I don't think this will be possible, but could you setup a CW as a separate Revit file, then link, copy/monitor the element in to the current project ? Actually - not really sure what that would accomplish that simple grouping doesn't, you still wouldn't be able to schedule types.

Thanks again Alfredo,

Martin

Message 5 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

That template, "Metric Window - Curtain Wall.rft", is to make a window that can be inserted into a curtain wall as a panel. Is similar to the "Curtain Wall Panel.rft" template, but with a "Window" category.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 8
MKEllis
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks again Alfredo.

That makes sense when you look at the setup of the family.

We have openable casements within our curtain walling. For the moment I had only included them as Curtain Walling Panels - woudl you recommend setting them as windows ?

I assume that means that we could tag them individually - and then schedule them in the window schedule (Even though they would be assigned individually) ?

Thinking aloud, that might get confusing, as in our larger windows, where we have openable casements - they are not numbered individually, but are rather identified as the whole window.

Following our own logic, it may be better to leave them as part of the larger CW - unless there are other advantages that I am missing ?

Thanks Alfredo,

Martin

Message 7 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

Well, Revit offers the two alternatives. It´s up to the user to decide whether those windows in curtain walls should be scheduled as windows or as panels of the curtain wall. Whatever the decision, use the correspondent template.

Message 8 of 8
arsalnadem3

Where are you from?

I would recommend you https://signatureshopfitters.co.uk/

They have years of experience, they can guide you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report