Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain wall OR in-place component

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
thaner9
1628 Views, 10 Replies

Curtain wall OR in-place component

I've attached an image of a corner window/door situation I'm trying to design. I can't tell which route I should take with regards to modeling so that it schedules and functions properly. If I create an in-place window/door component, I can't seem to get it to schedule properly, but if I create a curtain wall and custom panels, I can't get it to attach to the roof beam above and look right in elevation. It chamfers the mullion join between the top mullion and the framing mullion. It also won't let me do a sloped panel element.

Any advice? I'm trying to prevent spending hours in the "wrong direction".

Thanks,

Logan

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cbcarch
in reply to: thaner9

Use a curtainwall. You can edit the profile of the curtain wall to achieve the slope at the top under the beam.

You may need to create a "custom corner mullion" to get the corner to clean up correctly.

One trick I have used in the past is to create a wall, then place a Wall Opening in the wall. Then place a curtainwall

inside the opening, which "frees it up" from trying to join.

Another trick is to click the "blue dot" at the end of the curtainwall, then right-click and select "disallow join" and then use the Align command to line up the ends.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 11
thaner9
in reply to: cbcarch

I will have to play around with the "blue dot" option for disallowing the join between two, adjacent curtain walls...as well as the opening in a wall. If I remember correctly, you can't edit the sketch for an opening in a wall correct? I'd be looking to create aforementioned slope condition...

I was using the "attach wall" method to achieve my slope with the curtain wall and wasn't able to change a SYSTEM PANEL from the standard glass to my custom framed panel in the sloped location. I tried using the edit profile option for the curtain wall instead and was still unable to get the switch. I realize it's all just graphics, but if there is a way I should be doing this that coincides with the capabilities of Revit, I'd like to know!

Thanks for the tips and response.

Logan

Message 4 of 11
cbcarch

Can you change the panel type 1st, ( keeping it rectangular) then edit the profile to get the sloped top??

Cliff B. Collins
Message 5 of 11
thaner9

Good idea, but I just tried it to no avail.

My guess is I'll have to just delete the panel and then do an In-Place Window Component for that panel. I have no idea how to schedule all of this either as I would like it to be constructed as framing with actual windows as opposed to a curtain wall system. You can't place Windows into In-Place Structural Framing Components though and so I can't place a tag on each window. That's the next beast...

Message 6 of 11
cbcarch

One more suggestion-- As a test:

Try making a copy of the orig. curtainwall off to the side, away from the other framing members.

See if the panel type will change--it should. If so, it has something to do with the framing members and the curtainwall--

perhaps some kind of constraints that Revit doesn't like. If not, then something is wrong with the custom panels.

Just a last test before resorting to an in-place family workaround.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Message 7 of 11
thaner9

I just started a dummy file and drew a curtain wall and then edited it's profile to create the sloped top. There is nothing else surrounding this wall. I then tried to change the system panel and it didn't work so I'm guessing I didn't create the system panel correctly. Perhaps I should create the sash with a Sweep instead of an Extrusion so that it can adjust to the top restraint...

I will try this and get back to you. In the mean time, if you don't mind, can you give me your opinion on why it's better to do this situation with a curtain wall? I am not doubting it, I just haven't had a project yet that utilized curtain wall objects, at least not to this level. I believe I will answer more of my own questions if I can get a grasp of the conceptual notion behind using curtain walls. If you have the time, a short answer is more than adequate. I don't mean to take you from your day any more than I already have!

Message 8 of 11
cbcarch

in general, try to model in Revit what will actually be built--using industry standard assemblies. Think about how would I specify this ? ( i.e. MasterSpec Divisions, UniFormat, etc. )

A curtainwall is usually a system of aluminum extrusions and glass panels, which get attached to the structure of the building.

If what you have is more of a "custom framing and punched opening" approach, then perhaps building walls and using window families is better. It just depends on what the design intent is, and how it will be specified and executed by the contractor in the shop and in the field.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Message 9 of 11
thaner9

Gotcha, that's how I tend to do things. With this specific design I want to use posts/beams to frame out openings and then insert actual windows into the framing. It's kind of like how a storefront system would be constructed, but it's wood framed for aesthetics and structural concerns. I suppose I could just make a wall type that's 5-1/4" thick (I'd like to use engineered posts/beams for a contemporary look) and then punch windows/doors through and change their parametric dimensions to be accurate to RO's...

Thank you very much for responding so quickly and giving good advice.

Message 10 of 11
cbcarch

No problem.

Sounds like you are on the right track with the walls and windows--since it's really not a "curtainwall".

It COULD be done in Revit with a curtainwall, but maybe that is not the best way to model it considering the real-world outcome.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Message 11 of 11
thaner9

This was modeled with in-place Structural Framing instead of actual beam/column/post components, but this is how I intend it to be built. If I could only use window/door families and insert them into the "openings" here, it'd be perfect!

Something tells me I should do this with the curtain wall tool, whether or not it technically is a curtain wall. I just can't get the sloped glazing system panel to work for the top sloped panel, plus I'd rather this schedule out as a set of windows so that I can distinguish between operable and non-operable.

I will just go with what I've done so far and do some web searches to see if I can figure out what I need to do with my system panel to get it to slope.

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report