Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain wall louvre panel?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
ChuckEdwards
14121 Views, 17 Replies

Curtain wall louvre panel?

I'm trying to work up a standard curtain wall type for our office, and have hit a snag with a curtain wall panel.

I'm trying to make a panel which will feature a louvre profile, that will sit in the curtain wall opening nice and neat, and array the required height of the panel.

I've made up a generic object, inserted that into a CW panel, then got that into my CW OK, and it flexs fine, but if I try and do an array then it all falls apart?

As far as I've got attached, all I can get to work properly is to have the top and bottom louvre, if I turn this into an array it extends outside the bounds of the CW panels left/right reference plans.

I also have tried to do the array based on a division, e.g. 2000/50 = array number, but to do this I need a height, and when I try and put a height in it becomes overconstrained...again, any suggestions?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

There is a "quick" way, and an "advanced" way to do this. It all depends on the time available and your level of skills in making families.

The "quick" way is this:

Make a new curtain mullion profile with the shape of the blind of the louver. Load this profile into project, and create a new mullion type with this profile. Then, in a curtain wall, create new grid lines by segment, inside the panel where you want the louver to be. Then, create mullions at those new grid lines, using your new "louver" kind of mullion. Then, select all the glass panels that were created in between each louver mullion and change them to "empty".

The "advanced" way is this:

Make a profile family with the shape of the blind of the louver. Load this profile into a generic model family and create a sweep, controlled by a length parameter. Start a new family with the Curtain Wall Panel template. Create reference planes from the front view, to define the location of the first and last blind of the louver. Create a parameter for spacing, and use that to control the distance of these reference planes in relation to the top and bottom of the panel. Load the generic model family, and place it at one of the horizontal reference planes of the front view. Create an instance reporting parameter to measure the width of the panel. Associate the nested sweep's length parameter to the width of the panel. Array the sweep vertically. Constrain the array to the top reference plane. Create a reporting parameter to get the height of the panel. Use that reporting parameter to determine the number of items of the array. Load into project, and assing this panel to a curtain wall panel. The curtain wall panel must be not driven by type as the one you are using now, which does not let you to define panels types for individual panels.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 18
ChuckEdwards
in reply to: ChuckEdwards

Alfredo, your second solution is so obvious I didn't think of it!

Thanks, I'll do that instead, much simpler.

Message 4 of 18

The advanced solution is simpler than the quick solution?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 18

Alfredo,

I say the second is simpler as it requires rather less onerous manipulation by the end user, most of whom will struggle with something like this.

Worked up revision attached.

I've added a low detail version of my louvre so it makes it look simpler for elevations where we don't want to see a lot of lines, early stage planning drawings perhaps. I've also set the constraints so the louvres can be variable size apart, with the louvres themselves adjusting in size too. Spacing comes out nice and even as you'd expect. Louvres overlap as also would be expected, which also minimises visible linework.

Comments?

Message 6 of 18

Hi,

I made a quick test, changing the width and height of the panel, and your louver panel works very well. Thanks for sharing.

Message 7 of 18

Alfredo,

Thanks right back at you, its a virtuous circle.

Update to my CW type attached, I made an adjustment so there are now two panel types, one a complex louvre shape, the other a simple shape more appropriate for low level detail work, whihc one you see is controlled by a tick box in the Type. I also added an allowance for varying the spacing.

Regards,

Charles.

(PS can you believe I'm yet to sue Revit on a project yet? We're not allowed...)

Message 8 of 18

Hi Alfredo,

I got some problem creating louvre in curtain wall with advance method.

After I get Panel Height as Reporting Parameters, I cannot divide it by Louvre Blade Spacing, this message always popped out:

"A reporting parameter can be used in a formula only if its dimension references are all to host elements in family"

Is there anything I did wrong?

Best Regards.

IVS

Message 9 of 18

@IgnatiusVictor.Suryadinata wrote:

"A reporting parameter can be used in a formula only if its dimension references are all to host elements in family"

Is there anything I did wrong?

Probably you created the dimension for your reporting parameter from the level. Hide the level to avoid confusion and try again, measuring from ref. plane to ref. plane.

2017-03-20_6-12-48.jpg

Message 10 of 18
distroe
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hi Alfredo,

Thanks for your solution. I think this may be the key to correctly do ribbed insulation panels as well.

Regards, Dan

Message 11 of 18

Thank you very much Alfredo,

It works as what I wanted.

Best Regards.

Victor

Message 12 of 18
khughes
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Can you help?  I have watched tutorial after tutorial and went back through all my families but I can't seem to get my horizontal louvre panel family to flex or change in height after placing the panel.  I dont understand.  Please help! 

Message 13 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: khughes

- All dimension parameters in nested families should be Instance, not Type

- Constrain the top reference plane of the nested louver to the top reference plane of the curtain panel family using grip

Capture.PNG

Message 14 of 18
khughes
in reply to: ToanDN

I have set all my height parameters in both the nested families as instance.  I have a generic louvre family nested into a generic line based family and both are in a curtain panel family.  But, still the when I go to an elevation view in the curtain panel family there are no grips present on the louvre system and I have gone crazy to figure out what I did wrong.  

Message 15 of 18
khughes

I realized after replying that you fixed and attached the updated family.  THANK YOU SO MUCH! Again, dumbfounded by how I did exactly what you and others told me but it didn't work for me.  Is there something different with 2017 version? 

Message 16 of 18
ToanDN

See screencast.  Pay attention when I re-did the height dimension in Family 7 file, where the dimension snapped onto.

Message 17 of 18
khughes

I literally gasped out loud! Ugh such simple mistakes.  Thank you so much for your help and video! 

Message 18 of 18
ToanDN

@khughes  Also, I would not continue to ask questions in a several year-old thread which already has its solution.  Just start a new thread.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report