Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain wall help

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
autoMick
5041 Views, 14 Replies

Curtain wall help

Hi, at least I think it is curtain walls that I need help with. I have issues I want to solve:

1) I have a outdoor shade structure with a skillion roof. I want to have horizontal slatted walls (90x45mm slats with 45mm gaps) on 3 sides of the structure starting from a a horizontal ceiling elevation extending up to meet the sloping roof. The bit of the pic near the barbeque shows how the horizontal slats need to meet a sloped roof.

2) I just want to make a standard frameless glass pool safety fence. The glass panels are 1.2m high by 1.5m long. No railings or uprights, except for 2 peg type holders per panel on the bottom edge. The panels are to have a 50mm between them.

I assumed it would be reasonably easy to create curtain walls, modify the grid and edit the mullions and/or panel families to acheive these results, however I'm really not getting that close after a lot of experimenting. Could someone point me to some good tutorials that might help me? or some detailed instructions?

Thankyou

- Mick

slats.jpg  glass-fence-swimming-pool-2.jpg

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
tonkata
in reply to: autoMick

You might find this an interesting read if you want to head down the curtain wall method

http://autodesk-revit.blogspot.com.au/2008/08/curtain-walls-as-railings.html?m=1
Message 3 of 15
autoMick
in reply to: tonkata

thanks Tonkata, I think that confirms I'm on the right track - I should have mentioned that I don't need to include scheduling for this - graphics is the priority.
I'm still after some guidance on how to achieve my two looks if someone has some ideas?
Thanks
- Mick
Message 4 of 15
tonkata

Mick, I have created a curtain wall with 90x45mm slats. For spacing you simply add a horizontal grid, and in elevation adjust the grid a distance of 135mm to give you the 45mm gap you are after.

To trim the wall to the top of the angled roof, select the wall/roof and attach to top.

slats.PNG

slats2.PNG

slats3.PNG

Message 5 of 15
autoMick

Thanks Tonkata,

OK, I managed to replicate what you've done (curtain wall grid, curtain panel family) and I think I understand the basics. My problem now is where the slats intersect the sides of the sloping skillion roof. When I join the curtain wall to the roof, I get errors where revit needs to delete the intersecting panels (A & B), and then wants to replace the missing panels with system panels (in this case glazed). The system panels behave appropriately - i.e. they are trimmed according to the roof profile, but I can't find the setting where I can allow this behaviour for the custom slats (I expected to find a setting when editing the curtain panel family). Is this possible?

Thanks

- Mick

slatsagain.JPG slatsagain2.JPG

Message 6 of 15
tonkata

Hmm, don't think I got that error when I tried it. What if you edit the curtain wall profile?

Try double clicking the curtail wall, and in elevation using your pick tool, select the slope of the roof.

I'm not in front my computer to test it, but I believe that should work too.
Message 7 of 15
tonkata

Worked for me.

slates 1.PNG

Message 8 of 15
tonkata

and here is the 1.2x1.5 fence you were after. I haven't added any parameters for the glass or metal holders, but if you know how this is done, then it will be very easy for you, otherwise let me know if you need help.

fence.PNG

Message 9 of 15
autoMick

Tonkata, thanks for all your help. Your pool fence is perfect - thank you.

Regarding the slats, I tried but still couldn't get a result. I've included the file for your inspection. Basically I wish to delete all the portions of the slats that extend beyond the ceiling, whilst retaining the partial slats underneath.

thanks

- Mick

slats.JPG

Message 10 of 15
tonkata

interesting... same thing is happening here. I need to further play with it and see what could be causing it.

Message 11 of 15
MKEllis

I'm away from Revit atm - so can't check whether the following is of any use to you.

I seem to remember running into something similar with Curtain Wall Panels. I think my problem was that I had set the panels up incorrectly with the ref-planes to set-out their size. Rather than align and lock the panels to the 'system' ref-planes (left, right, top, bottom), and have those dimensions driven by parameter, I had fixed values - which left Revit unable to amend them at the end of runs etc.

I'm not sure if that is the issue here, but in my case, using the correct ref-planes in the family meant that the panels then adapted correctly.

Message 12 of 15
tonkata
in reply to: MKEllis

MKEllis I think your right on the money here, I'll have a play with that right now.

Message 13 of 15
tonkata

that's exactly what's causing it, so how did you constrain the panel size?

Message 14 of 15
MKEllis

I checked back to see how I achieved it.

I made the slats mullions rather than panels. Custom curtain panel families will not adjust to follow wall profiles, only system panels will - and you can only edit those in place (and it doesn't appear that you can set height/width via parameters for those, only via adjustments to the curtain wall grid - which has a logic to it, even if it doesn't lend itself naturally to resolving this sort of problem).

By making the slats mullions, you can use a mullion type, or alternatives, and have the thickness and height driven by parameters - that way it is also easy to adjust them.

Good luck,

Martin

Message 15 of 15
autoMick

Thanks Martin, yes that works... set the curtain panels to 'empty' (I found 'none' created the glass system panels) and then use horizontal mullions. I swear I tried that before, but I've learnt a bit about curtain walls in the last few days, so this time it seemed to work.

Regards

- Mick

Capture.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report