Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

curtain wall door family always vertical?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
andrew777bennett
2120 Views, 10 Replies

curtain wall door family always vertical?

I have curtain wall that is near plum but is about 10 degrees off. I want the door to be vertical. I go to edit the curtain wall door family and go "family category and paramaters" and there is a parameter for "always vertical", which does not change anything if it is checked or not.

Is there a way I can force the family to remain vertical relitave to the floor level?

Revit 2016

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

I don't believe the problem can be solved like this . Even if the door will be placed in vertical position , will remain problems with the sides of the door and its conection with the Curtain System

I think that you have to model the Mass using a Void so to obtain a niche with vertical faces in wich  eventualy to place the door in the Curtain System by Face

Image 2.png

Image 3.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
RDAOU
in reply to: andrew777bennett

It doesn’t make a difference because your door is hosted by the wall and not the floor work plane. Changing the category under the "Category and Parameters" will not change the fact that the family will remain face based, which appears to be the determinant for the "Always vertical" parameter. Otherwise; it becoming vertical means it got detached from the curtain wall (its host) and subsequently lost its jamb and header ie: cannot be built/erected.

One need to re-think how this door could be actually built in the real world then it can be drawn in Revit. There are many possible solutions… For example one could add some custom triangular infill (walls/panels/curtain wall section…) at both jambs where one side aligns with curtain wall and the other would be vertical (and of course a soffit at the door head). Then your door may be hosted in the vertical portion and not the sloped façade.

One could also think of a foyer at the entrance where one would introduce a transition lobby at the entrance (could be designed using same curtain family or different material) then host your doors on the inside wall, outside wall or both then you end up with an airlock.

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 4 of 11
RDAOU
in reply to: RDAOU

Sorry I left for lunch while it was in reply mode (before sending) and didn't notice Constantin already replied. Now seeing it I think we both talkin in the same direction

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 11
ToanDN

I would leave a hole in the tilted curtain wall, build an up right wall or curtain wall filling in the hole to host the door. Or even build a custom non- host door and drop it in. A face based door may work if you can custom the tilting angle relative to the host face.
Message 6 of 11
andrew777bennett
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you for the replies. I guess I will explain what I actually intend to do. I am trying to make a modular exterior wall system out of stacking concrete cubes that have a square passage through the middle for glass to allow light to pass through. I took a curtain wall door family and modified it so that the aluminum part of the door was concrete and about 5' deep and turned mullions off. In order to get the stacking effect I was trying to get the family to always ber vertical. 

The idea is that I can edit the fluid shape of the mass the curtain wall is hosted to and it would update my structural cubes. 

So although you guys had great replies to my question, it does not solve my problem. Ideas?

Message 7 of 11

it will be very helpful to make a hand sketch of your detail ...a rough axonometric view will be great.

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 8 of 11

This is not the design, but just a test. This is a School project and it is in the very begenning of design.

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 11
RDAOU

Andrew,

The same concepts described above still apply whether it is a tilted curtain wall of tilted  clustered concrete wall...You need  to create the proper host for your door (unless you are using a curtain door which then is applied to the curtain as material - still require the proper host though)

I would look at it this way...For a door to be installable (structurally speeking); it needs it jambs and header to be fixed to something and that something is the host. In a case similar to the one shown in the isometry you added I can think of the following options;

PS: Not sure about the dimensions of the clusters so I'm assuming 400x400mm (16"x16")

1. One of the options proposed in the previous replies
  2. The depth of the clusters is sufficient enough to still host the door from 3 sides (2 Jambs and Header). In this case you need to redo at a minimum the set of 17 clusters surounding the perimeter of the door in way which makes those cluster 1 body/structure capable of hosting the door (assuming 3Wx6H is the door opening).

This example shows what I mean by a slanted wall that can still properly host the door (if its10 degrees as you mentioned; you should be able to do it with sufficient depth and reworking the perimiter.

SlantedWalllStraightOpenings.png

The following is a wall with a bigger angel...this is where you need to fill the gaps at the jambs with a filler (either a concrete frame similar to the clusters but with a greater depth or simply close the triangular gap with either an aluminum or a glass panel/...)

SlantedWALL.jpg

Thats my personal opinion...I'm not sure if someone else has a better idea

(Again I'm sorry I don't have screencast - unfortunatly I can't even install it here)

Message 10 of 11
RDAOU

...Continued

You can check the following projects which I think present a somewhat similar case to your university project. No matter how the material differed and how slanted/curved the facades are, the entrance/doors are handeled similarly and the execution is similar to what Constantin illustrated above...

- Madrid Civil Court by Zaha Hadid (big resemblance to the clustered wall you got)

- Guangzhou Opera House (Extreme slanted/curved Facade but has a huge resemblance to the facade you have interms of stacked clusters with openings)

- Heydar Aliyev Center  also by Zaha Hadid... (Extreme example of an entrance in an organic curved/slanted facade)

- London's City Hall by Norman Foster

Message 11 of 11
andrew777bennett
in reply to: RDAOU

I was making a roof by sketch with sloped glazing and I could not get the curtain wall door family to be vertical. Using a mass and wall by face and editing a door family I have achieved this-

Capture (2).PNG

They are actually 6' cubed. If I go with this idea, I can just array the "doors" in elevation and they follow the wall, which is the shape of the mass. 

Thanks guys

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report