Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain Systems in Curtain Walls

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
aa366
821 Views, 6 Replies

Curtain Systems in Curtain Walls

I have attached two files. One is a screen shot of a model. The other is a photo of a house I am trying to describe with the model. I am having an issue creating the windows. Also, I am not sure how to create the skin. I have researched making the walls curtain walls and embeding other wall information including a sweep into this curtain wall to create the look seen here but I am having no luck doing this. Please reply if you have any suggestions or a procedure that will help me achieve this. Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: aa366

• The windows could be curtain walls, embedded. (That's a property that needs to be enabled in the C.W. type).
  • The skin could be another type of curtain wall, in front of the masonry walls, with empty panels, and with horizontal mullions and borders, only. To make room for the 'windows' and door, you need to edit the profile of the skin curtain wall.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
vector2

Curtain walls don't go in houses, windows go in houses.

Make the windows in the family editor or make them

in-place.

Edit: There are no curtain walls here, only doors and

windows of the door and window category. If they were

curtain walls, this would not be a house

Doors and Windows.PNG

Message 4 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: vector2

@Anonymous wrote:

Curtain walls don't go in houses, windows go in houses.

Make the windows in the family editor or make them

in-place.

.... If they were

curtain walls, this would not be a house

Not true. The Curtain Wall is a very versatile tool. You can create windows, window-door assemblies, aluminum panel claddings, rainscreens, 'skin' coverings, railings, etc; some people have used this tool to model pre-cast concrete wall panels.

Imagine the time it takes to create a window in the family editor, for every configuration of mullions that you need, when you can just create the window with the curtain wall tool, and simply place the grid lines wherever you need, as many as you need. Then, you can place this 'window' inside a wall.

Also, it is not true that if there were curtain walls, this would not be a house. Some houses do not even have punch windows, but are covered in glass all around. Some classical examples in architecture are Mies' Farnsworth House, and Philip Johnson's Glass House.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

An example of how the Curtain Wall tool could be used in multiple ways in a house like the one shown in the original post:

sample_cw.jpg

Message 6 of 7
aa366
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo,

Thank you for taking the time to work on a solution to my question. Could you provide the steps I would need to follow to produce what you have described?

Message 7 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

An overview of the procedures is already posted in message # 2 above. Please use that as orientation, to research for more information in Wikihelp articles about Curtain Walls, Curtain Panels, and Curtain Wall Mullions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report