Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain Panel Doors - Room from & Room to

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
AntMc
614 Views, 5 Replies

Curtain Panel Doors - Room from & Room to

How can the Room from & Room to be controlled for curtain panel doors so Door schedules report correctly?

When you replace a curtain panel with a curtain panel door you can not control which way is goes in like you can with normal doors. There is no 'rehost' command either.

If you flip the door using a control built into the family the Room to & from are not changed to reflect the flipped door (which is how normal doors behave).

If you flip the curtain wall the door flips with it but the Room to & from are still not changed.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: AntMc

There has been a long debate about this. The two points of view are these:

• Soem users (like my friend Martijn de Riet) think that the feature is broken. By "the feature" I mean the fact that a schedule does not update the "from room" and "to room" information when the swing of a door is flipped.
  • Some users (like Steve Satfford and myself) think that the feature is working as it should, because the side of a door does not determine where the door belongs to. Steve uses the term "ownership" of the door.  I refer more to the "keyside room number". Which is similar to what Steve calls the "ownership".

Think of this, when you are in a corridor of a school, and you see many doors for classrooms, and the doors swing toward the corridor, you would not say that the doors belong to the corridor, correct? Where you do use the key to enter the classroom? From the corridor, correct? The keyside is the corridor but each door belongs to each classroom, even if the door swings to the inside or to the outside of the classroom.

Therefore, in my opinion, the use of "from room" and "to room" is associated with the keyside room number (in my opinion) or  with the"ownership" in Steve's opinion.The bottom line is that, in our opinion, the swing of the door does not determine which room the door "belongs" to. , as you are expecting.

The solution to your issue, as per the previous paragraph, is to establish first that keyside or ownership of the door, in door schedule, and then the door in the curtain wall will receive the correct room number.

Please refer to this post in RFO to see an example of my point of view, and some other posts that do not agree. As I say, it's been a debate.

In this addres, you can see an example that illustrates my point of view, and also the opinion of those who think (like Martijn) that the feature is broken:

http://www.revitforum.org/architecture-general-revit-questions/2911-door-properties-room-number-does...

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6
AntMc

My issue is not about a particular method of deciding which side of a door represents the room it 'belongs' to.

The real problem here is YOU CAN NOT CHANGE IT.

To take your example, you have a (curtain) wall along a corridor. It has classrooms with doors opening into the corridor, but in the middle there is an entry door from a hallway that also opens into that corridor.

You want the classroom doors to 'belong' to their classroom, but the entry door to 'belong' to the corridor.

But all those doors will report the room on only one side of the wall.

Message 4 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

What do you mean by "you cannot change it"? If you go to a door schedule, there will be a drop down menu for each door, in the from:room, and to:room column. That's my point, that it is the user who determines what the room is the one that 'owns' the door, by changing the value in the schedule, in one of these two columns, not by flipping the door swing in the plan view.

The only case in which you don't see a little drop down list with 2 options is in the case of exterior walls, but this can be handled by creating a dummy "Exterior" room in the outside, or by including the Function column in the schedule, to indicate which doors are exterior doors.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 6
AntMc
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo,

Yes, you are right. It can be changed in the schedule (I didn't realise this was possible).

At least this provides a work around.

But as discussed by others elsewhere this approach makes it possible to break the consistancy we expect between what is drawn and scheduled.

Surely the benefit of BIM is you don't have to laboriously check every scheduled instance to make sure it matches what is drawn.

In the real world we try to get those drawing to place doors so they will report correctly in the schedule.

Flipping doors is a nightmare for those responsible for schedules so I have removed the flip control from our doors.

I tell people to place doors with the swing into the room that the door belongs to. If the swing is actually on the opposite side, I tell them to mirror the door.

But this doesn't work for curtain walls. Which is a bugger because I hate exceptions to general rules. It is where mistakes are made.

And while I'm complaining about Revit and doors: Why is the To Room on the Exterior side? In Australia we assume you enter into a room through a door, and that room is inside, not outside.

Message 6 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

Yes... There is a long debate about this issue in that link that I included in message # 2 in this thead, above.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report