Revit Architecture

Distinguished Contributor
kate_vanhout
Message 1 of 5 (470 Views)
Accepted Solution

Creating Wall Based Family

470 Views, 4 Replies
10-30-2012 02:34 PM

I want to Create a Wall Nitch that will be in a tiled shower we are doing.  Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to create a family that cuts into a wall? I don't want to Create an opening, because I don't want it going all the way through the wall.  I am not sure how to go about this.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :smileyhappy:

In the family editor, do Cut geometry, select the void, select the sample volume. It should cut the wall in the project, too.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 5 (465 Views)

Re: Creating Wall Based Family

10-30-2012 02:45 PM in reply to: kate_vanhout

Make a face-based family with a void, and cut the void from the sample face in the family editor. Once you load this into a project, and put it on the face of the wall, it will cut the wall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
kate_vanhout
Message 3 of 5 (459 Views)

10-30-2012 02:52 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I tried this and couldnt get it to work.  Do you have an example of one that you got to work?

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 4 of 5 (449 Views)

10-30-2012 05:25 PM in reply to: kate_vanhout

In the family editor, do Cut geometry, select the void, select the sample volume. It should cut the wall in the project, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
kate_vanhout
Message 5 of 5 (431 Views)

10-31-2012 05:31 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks so much!! I completely missed the step of using Cut Geometry. Oops!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!