Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a skylight

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
cjp
Enthusiast
3993 Views, 2 Replies

Creating a skylight

I am trying to create a skylight in Revit from a specific manufacturer. I had called and asked them, but unfortunately they do not have Revit models yet; all they had was a 3-d cad file. I have inserted this cad file into an OOB skylight file, that I created a saved copy of, and redrawn my hole to be what I needed and inserted the new 3d components in place of the old ones. My issue is that I need a 48"x48" version of this and my Revit file will not let me do this. I tried doing it in my actual project and it did not come out right, it always remained a rectangle. I have since tried to create a 48"x48" version of this in my family, but I cannot get the side pieces to shorten or lengthen to be that size. I would love to make this autmatically adjust in the project so that I can easily change the size later if the project decides to go that route. I will attach the (now messy) family to this post. I am just wondering what is the best way to go about this to get the most out of this model. Currently my hole is the corrext 48"x 48" and each side piece is now temporarily grouped so I dont lose any parts. Essentially the top and bottom pieces need to get shorter and the side pieces need to get longer. Any advice on how to do this would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
enslinj
in reply to: cjp

Hi there,

I had a look at the family you saved. In short the problem is that only Revit geometry can be made parametric. Revit treats ACAD geometry as a static “block” that can’t dynamically change.

Using sweeps & nested families you could make this skylight parametric & any size you want. While this is the “ideal” solution it will also take the longest to do. If the pressure is on, your quickest solution would be to simply create Revit sweeps based on ACAD profiles & essentially recreate this skylight as Revit geometry. Once “converted” you can than change the sweep paths to give you the various required sizes.

Not sure if this makes sense?

Message 3 of 3
loboarch
in reply to: cjp

I am not sure if you need that EXACT skylight, but I have attached a skylight family that is part of the basic Revit content pack.  I created a new type in it to create a 48x48 skylight.

skylight.png

Once loaded into your project it is inserted as a "window".  even if it is not exactly what you are looking for you may be able to modify it to get closer to the geometry you want specifically.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report