Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 11 of 20 (260 Views)

Re: Create roof / floor using work plane ???

11-09-2012 09:02 AM in reply to: ccollins

Here's a quick video, (the roof and beam system already created)

http://screencast.com/t/pLuGI5bR3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 12 of 20 (259 Views)

11-09-2012 09:05 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alf,

True once the roof is modeled, add the sloped ref. plane and the roof and beam system will follow.

But this still doesn't explain how to model the roof, does it?

(unless I'm missing something?)

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 13 of 20 (254 Views)

11-09-2012 09:10 AM in reply to: ccollins

Oh, the roof can be a simple roof with Roof by Footprint and slopes, as normal. The beam system is the one that needs to be created from a 3d view, using Orient to plane. Then you pick lines of the walls, and Revit will find the projection of those lines on the sloped reference plane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Contributor
Shawn
Message 14 of 20 (252 Views)

11-09-2012 09:13 AM in reply to: ccollins

Apparently you are correct. The edit points tool is available for roofs- however, my roof is sloped and the edit points tools doesn't show up when I select it - which is why I didn't see it the first time.

I will try the edit points method just for educational purposes, but apparntly I will have to start with a new flat roof element. Thank you.

sg

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 15 of 20 (246 Views)

11-09-2012 09:18 AM in reply to: Shawn

If it's a simple slope, a roof by footprint with a slope in one side only should be enough. I don't understand the need for editing points.

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 16 of 20 (242 Views)

11-09-2012 09:23 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

One use of Edit Points--To set the roof to precise elevations where the steel supports are located below the roof,

or for crickets around penetrations on sloping roofs, or for tapered insulation.

In the OP's case--a simple "defines slope" in sketch mode, or a Slope Arrow would probably suffice.

Just showing him the possibilities Revit offers for other situations as well.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Contributor
Shawn
Message 17 of 20 (237 Views)

11-09-2012 09:26 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

If the edit points tool works for my application.... the only value or need for it would be to have more control over the interface between the structural elements and the roof element. I have found it difficult to edit the slope accurately enough to align the roof with the structural elements below.

Your suggestion to reverse the work flow solves that issue, but if for some reason I have to model the structure first, then the edit points tool might be best. I don't know, I haven't tried it yet.

You are both right. Thank you.

Contributor
Shawn
Message 18 of 20 (234 Views)

11-09-2012 09:30 AM in reply to: Shawn

PS - ccollins makes a good point with respect to tapered insulation. My roof is a simple slope, but it will also have tapered insluation to roof drains.... which I haven't tackled yet due to trying to figure out the basic roof.

Again, thank you both for your excellent contributions.

Shawn Graham

Modern Building Systems Inc.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 19 of 20 (226 Views)

11-09-2012 09:59 AM in reply to: Shawn

In my opinion, the Editing points option is good in the cases that Cliff has mentioned. I would not recommended as a tool to start the creation of a roof with a simple constant, slope, because it can create issues with incorrect thickness. If that's the case, simply use roof by footprint.

mart727j
Message 20 of 20 (107 Views)

01-30-2014 12:06 PM in reply to: Shawn
Hi Shawn! I think I've found what you where looking for. Now I know it's a long time ago (relatively), but for future projects I would assume this is what you want. Look at the video and after 1 minute and 30 seconds or so you'll see what I mean.
http://revitoped.blogspot.dk/2013/05/three-minutes-with-floor-sloping.html
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.