Revit Architecture

Revit Architecture

Contributor
Shawn
Message 1 of 20 (1,537 Views)
Accepted Solution

Create roof / floor using work plane ???

1537 Views, 19 Replies
11-08-2012 01:43 PM

Help! please.

I need to create a sloped roof. I want to base this roof upon a beam system created using a sloped workplane rather than offset from a level. I now understand that (for some reason) Revit will not create floors or roofs using work planes, but only on levels, and I know that I can create a flat roof on a level and apply slope arrows and adjust the offset height, etc. etc. but that is very imprecise (lots of micro adjustments) and a lot of steps.

Isn't there any way to create a floor or roof using a work plane as the level?

The attached image shows a roof I created "by face" from a box mass element I set on the plane - unfortuately now I cannot edit the outline to get it to fint my non-rectangular roof.

Can anyone set me on the right path? Thank you.

Shawn

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 2 of 20 (1,529 Views)

Re: Create roof / floor using work plane ???

11-08-2012 02:20 PM in reply to: Shawn

You can use Roof by Extrusion. Go to a side elevation or section view, and sketch the profile then create roof.

Then in Plan you can adjust the depth. You may also then need to use a Void to trim the roof to the irregular shape of the footprint.

Another method would be Roof by Footprint, and then use Edit Points to set heights at the various corners in Plan.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Contributor
Shawn
Message 3 of 20 (1,516 Views)

11-08-2012 04:05 PM in reply to: ccollins

Thank you for your input - both valid suggestions. Unfortunately not as clean or accurate as what I was hoping for. The point editing tool doesn't seem to work on sloped surfaces - you need a flat floor to start with - and not available for roofs. (?)

I was able to create the roof with basic roof modeling methods, level offset and slope arrow adjusments - and it's close, but the roof doesn't really connect to the plane if you zoom in close enough you can see they are not perfectly aligned or mated.

Seems like Autodesk should take a look at this unless it's some fundamental issue with the program. After all, most commercial roofs are exactly what I'm trying to model - a variably solped surface below a parapet wall.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 4 of 20 (1,509 Views)

11-08-2012 05:21 PM in reply to: Shawn

I don't see anything complicated in the roof that you show in the .doc file. Could you provide an image of desired floor plan and elevation?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Contributor
Shawn
Message 5 of 20 (1,489 Views)

11-09-2012 08:09 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

You are correct - it's not the least bit complicated, which is why I am surprised that I can't do what I want.

The floor plan below the roof is bascially open. The structure is a transportation terminal for a bus company. The only structural elemment that is non-standard is that the engineer decided to slope the roof framing (beams and purlins) rather than slope the roof insulation for run-off.

I created the roof structure using a beam system along a ref. plane - I thought I would be able to model the roof (metal deck and rigid insulation) on top of this, but neither the roof or floor tool is set up to use reference planes and the slope arrow and level offest method is a bit hit and miss.

The roofing finish is done, but not really mated to the structure - if you don't get too close you can't tell - I just wasted a bit of time trying to figure out how to use the reference plane to model the roof.

Thanks for your interest.

SG

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 6 of 20 (1,482 Views)

11-09-2012 08:22 AM in reply to: Shawn

Did you try Roof by Extrusion?  

Another possibility would be to create a Mass, then apply Roof by Face to the sloped face of the Mass.

The Slope Arrow method or Edit by Points both work very well, we have done hundreds of these roofs in past projects.

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 7 of 20 (1,473 Views)

11-09-2012 08:41 AM in reply to: Shawn

Shawn wrote:

Help! please....

Isn't there any way to create a floor or roof using a work plane as the level?

Yes, but in a different workflow or sequence. If I understand correctly, you are doing the beams system first, and then you want to do the roof. Change the sequence. Do the roof first, create a reference plane that is aligned and locked to the roof, then, set a view that is perpendicular to that reference plane, and use that to sketch the beam system. Now, if the slope of the roof changes, the reference plane will folow the slope, and the beam system will follow the reference plane.,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Contributor
Shawn
Message 8 of 20 (1,471 Views)

11-09-2012 08:45 AM in reply to: ccollins

Thank you,

I did try using the mass creation method as described in my original post -the problem was that my roof has a cut corner and the roof created from the "box" mass did not allow me to edit the form.

The extrusion method has the same limitation (I think). Having to use voids to get your geometry correct sounds like a potentiall messy and overly involved solution.

Using the edit point tools only seems to apply to floor elements - I guess I could make the roof from a generic floor and edit - but more to the point, from what I read, there seems to be serious limitations with editing points regarding how far the points can be moved and how complex the shape can be???

My basic problem is that I am only boderline competent in revit, most of my work being done in Autocad. I'm sure there are perfectly acceptable ways to do what I want, but they are not straight forward and require using a mutiple set of tools in the box that I just haven't used enought to be proficient with.

I would love to take a few advanced classed - but the training is just waaaaay toooooo expensive for me. I don't have a corporate overlord to pick up the tab.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

SG

Contributor
Shawn
Message 9 of 20 (1,470 Views)

11-09-2012 08:47 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Wow! Brilliant thank you. That makes perfect sense.

Gracias.

SG

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 10 of 20 (1,458 Views)

11-09-2012 08:59 AM in reply to: Shawn

You can easily edit points of a Roof.

see attached.

(Alf's method is also a good one, when using a Beam System with a Ref. Plane.)

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.