Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a type of line

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
sabatierae
442 Views, 10 Replies

Create a type of line

Hi,

I'd like to create a line like that :

ligne.png

Is it possible? And how ?

Thanks for your answers!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi,

The path to create new line types in Revit is through a dialog box that opens by the following menu.

REVIT.jpg

In this dialog box you can only choose between dashes and points to make a line, so I would say that it's impossible to do such a line in Revit. Maybe (I didn't try it) importing a CAD, but I'm not sure.

Rodrigo Bezerra

EESignature

Message 3 of 11

Too bad..
But thanks for your answer!
Message 4 of 11

Let's hope someone else proove me wrong!

Regards

Rodrigo Bezerra

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: sabatierae

Rodrigo is correct in that there is no direct way to create a complex Line Pattern in Revit. There have been many in the MEP field who have wished for this functionality to simulate pipes (i.e. ----G----G----G---- ). If you feel that this functionality is needed, use the link at the bottom of this post to provide your feedback to the support team. Be detailed and give examples, if possible.

The only way to accomplish this at this time is to create a Line-Based Detail Item Family and parametrically create the repeating symbol yourself. Attached is an example of such a Family (Revit 2013). Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

Autodesk Product Support

The following link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 11
rodrigo.bezerra
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks Corey!

I've already seen this solution of line based detail item for other application, but I personaly don't like it.

Let's face it: the very purpose of Revit is to use objetcts like they were "self aware" of their own nature and function. Every time we use shortcuts, we add some risk to the way the objects behave and interact.

And very importat, Corey will probably correct me if I'm wrong: detail items work per view, so it won't interect with other objetcs throughout the model.

Regards

Rodrigo Bezerra

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: rodrigo.bezerra

rodrigo.bezerra wrote:
"...I've already seen this solution of line based detail item for other application, but I personaly don't like it.

Let's face it: the very purpose of Revit is to use objetcts like they were "self aware" of their own nature and function. Every time we use shortcuts, we add some risk to the way the objects behave and interact."

Yep. That's why the first thing I mentioned was to provide feedback (via link) to the the Revit Support Team regarding this issue. The best chance of this getting implemented is though large quantities of requests. Realistically, though, I think the chances are low, regardless...

rodrigo.bezerra wrote:
"...And very importat, Corey will probably correct me if I'm wrong: detail items work per view, so it won't interect with other objetcs throughout the model."

That is correct in regards to the direct use of the Detail Item Family. But, in some applications, the Detail Item Family can be embedded into a Model Family, and then the line will appear in all Views. This, of course, will not work for situations in which one does not have the option to embed it. For instance, Piping is a System Family and therefore cannot be edited, so one using such a Detail Item Family would have to manually apply this "on top of" the Piping. Definately not a good solution, there.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 11
sabatierae
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I tried this solution but my computer doesn't like it...
I sent a feedback and hope Autodesk'll find something.
Message 9 of 11
SteveKStafford
in reply to: sabatierae

A line such as you show is seldom "nothing", rather it is meant to represent something "real". What is it? A fence? Then a railing might provide a more satisfying result.

A line based family does not have to be a detail item (2D), it can also be a generic model (3D).

A Repeating Detail could also provide the appearance you show (2D though).

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 10 of 11
sabatierae
in reply to: SteveKStafford

yes it's a fence. But I didn't manage to create a wall type "fence"with this kind of line..
Message 11 of 11

Excuse me but, why won't you model the fence instead? Or did I miss
something?

Rodrigo Bezerra
21 98153 4371
Enviado pelo meu celular. Perdoe qualquer erro de digitação.

Rodrigo Bezerra

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report