Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt Files

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ltinklepaugh8682
493 Views, 4 Replies

Corrupt Files

I am using Revit 2015. I have been working since 9 AM this morning and the last time I backed up my file was last night. I saved the file on my flash drive, properly ejected the flash drive from the computer, I opened the flashdrive on my laptop, I added a different Revit file onto the flash drive from my laptop. When I went to open up the original file on the computer, "Data in file (filename) is corrupt and needs to be manually recovered."

I have tried the two most popular links with no success. Any other opinions?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: ltinklepaugh8682

I do not know what the most popular links are. But try to open your project with Audit checked.

So no backups available?

As a last resort you could get in contact with Autodesk support and send the project to them. Then they can have a look to see if they can recover your file.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 5

ltinklepaugh8682

Unfortunately there is not much you can do if you have not backed up. You should be backing up every 15-30mins as a failsafe.

As Enlint stated, open the file with Audit checked and if no luck there Autodesk support would be your only hope, but there is no guarantee they can get it back for you.

Good luck! Hope you get it back.

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 4 of 5
amaruapu
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

Can someone put some general information of how to technically restore corrupted files that are not possible to open anymore?

I would like to fix it, just there is no information on how to dig into it really. Just unqualified forum posts not containing any information which is not available yet by autodesk. Is there no way of editing some source files, removing contents manually and trying to reopen the files?

Message 5 of 5
loboarch
in reply to: amaruapu

@amaruapu wrote:

Can someone put some general information of how to technically restore corrupted files that are not possible to open anymore?

I would like to fix it, just there is no information on how to dig into it really. Just unqualified forum posts not containing any information which is not available yet by autodesk. Is there no way of editing some source files, removing contents manually and trying to reopen the files?

We recently added a troubleshooting topic to the help file on this subject, but that being said basically you are going to need to recover from a backup or send the file to support to "manually" recover.  Here is the text of the topic, as yet to be published.

Error: Data in file is corrupt and needs to be manually recovered.

If you encounter this error when opening a file, try the following solutions in the order listed.

Solution 1: Check free disk space
Check whether the computer has sufficient free space on the hard drive. At least 5 GB of free space is recommended. Without sufficient free space, Revit cannot expand the project into the Temp directory.
To locate the Temp directory
Press Windows key+E.
In the navigation bar, enter %TEMP%.
If needed, delete files in the Temp directory to create free space.

Solution 2: Manually recover a backup copy of the file
If the corrupt file is workshared, manually recover the file.
If the corrupt file is not workshared, use the following instructions to manually recover the file.
When you save a project, Revit makes a backup copy of the previous version of the project (that is, the project file before the current save). This backup copy has the name <project_name>.<nnnn>.rvt, where <nnnn> is a 4-digit number indicating how many times the file has been saved. The backup file resides in the same folder as the project file.
For example, the backup file for a project named Project1.rvt is Project1.0001.rvt. The backup file with the highest number is the most recent backup file.
To recover a file, use Revit to open the most recent backup file, and then save it. When you save the file, a dialog asks if you want to name the file without the 4-digit sequence. Click Yes. Another dialog asks if you want to overwrite the existing project file, if it still exists. Respond appropriately.
Note: If the most recent backup file is also corrupt, try opening earlier backup files.
For instructions on changing the number of backup files, see File Save Options.

Solution 3: Contact Technical Support
If the previous solutions did not work and you have a maintenance subscription for technical support from Autodesk, do the following:
Gather together the corrupt file and its 5 most recent journal files.
Open a support case.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report