Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

corrugated metal panels

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
2001jonathon
15361 Views, 23 Replies

corrugated metal panels

Hi everyone. Im really new to the whole revit thing and just need some help. I'm trying to put some corrugated metal on a wall in a small section, but I have no idea on how to do that. Just was wondering if someone can help me out on this.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
vector2
in reply to: 2001jonathon

First go into the materials UI. (On the manage ribbon).

Duplicate any material and give it a name for your corrugated metal.

Then give that name a corrugated metal appearance.

Back at your wall, activate the "split face" tool and draw the line

for the part of your wall you want this to be on. 

Then with the "paint" tool, select that "name" for your panels

and paint that part of the wall you created with the split face tool.

Message 3 of 24
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: vector2

It is not clear in the question if the user wants just the appearance of a corrugated panel or an actual 3d corrugated panel that looks correctly in elevations, sections, and 3d views.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 24
vector2
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Good point Alfredo, and often we don't know the full extent

of someone's intent.

As for corrugated metal, I would think a bump image for that would

be most practical for construction representation. But you could

certainly model that panel if you wanted to.

Message 5 of 24
2001jonathon

I was looking for the 3d model to show it, but if I cant get it to work then I guess the bump map would work as well.

Message 6 of 24

it is suggested that use jpeg image (bump map) for the 3d view and use 2d repeating detail for sections and details etc.

If you want to put this in 3d, it will create several issue such as door, window openings, duplicate inplace geometry etc.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 7 of 24
00jengland00

After reading the comments it seems that Revit cannot create a corrugated metal wall unless it is modeled as a generic model.  Am I correct?  I am wanting to model a wall with corrugated metal panel exterior/10" girt/interior corrugated liner panel.  Revit is currently unable to model walls with a corrugated profile...correct?  If so, perhaps I could get as close as possible with vertical reveals.  Any input would be nice.

Message 8 of 24
cvandevere
in reply to: 00jengland00

I used a horizontal lined surface pattern on the exterior wall and added reveals to the wall. When the building is rendered or in section it looks like corrogated metal.

CDV
Message 9 of 24

alttough in a project I prefer to use mapped bitmap in rendering an hatches in shade views, sometimes I use a real 3D.

• New > Family > Generic Model Wall Based.....
  • on the Placement Side in Ref.Level , I draw first some reference planes for flexing purposes ,then Extrude
  • I draw a closed profile of a segment of the corrugated sheet and make the extrusion.
  • Assign parameters of offset,height, thickness...
  • Load into the project

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 10 of 24

for openings make an instance of the family  with a parametric void applied

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 11 of 24

Corrugated metal panels could be created also as curtain panels in a curtain wall. There was a similar thread recently about "pile sheet" foundations, which contains a sample image.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 12 of 24

Thanks for the idea.....what is not very clear for me is how to make a relation between the standard dimensions of the trapezoid shapes that make a corrugated steel sheet ( we use Hoesch standards) and  the streching process when inserting the panel into the cell of the curtain wall  so not to alterate the trapez standard dimensions....

Perhaps the cell must be  modulate so to fit the standard dimensions of the sheets...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 13 of 24
gschmoll

How does one give a corrugated material appearance to  duplicated material?  For thos of us totally new to the siftware this explanation isnt quite enough.  Thanks.

Message 14 of 24
tefabasha
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

please sir ..if you could help me
i  want to make a corrugated metal sheet wall
i cant make the panel to cut in non-horizontal way ...if there is any thing to do i would appreciate your help

Message 15 of 24
ck
Explorer
in reply to: tefabasha

You could make a non-horizontal roof (which you hide afterwards), and attach your panel to it.

Message 16 of 24
ennujozlagam
in reply to: ck

@ck hello, omg, you answered that posted question after 2 years? thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 17 of 24

DEAR ALL I USED A CORRUGATED PANEL IN MY CURTAIN WALL BUT WHEN I WANT TO ATTACH THE WALL TO ROOF ITS NOT WORKING EVEN MANUALL MAKING PROFILE FOR WALL ALSO NOT WORKING WHY.PLEASE HELP?

Message 18 of 24
chrisplyler

It's easy enough to make it as a curtain wall panel:

cor01.jpg

But if you have a large area it looks black at higher scales because the lines are too close together. You can see in the above image that I did not make the smaller, intermediary ridges because of this. And it's a performance hit if you use a whole lot of it. And you have to put some work in to get doors/windows to kinda work.

It's much better to do this:

cor02.jpg

...wherein you just create the wall's material layer to be 1.5" thick and have a parallel line pattern. Of course for section details you will need to add some line work to get the proper appearance, but at least this way your walls work as walls.

For a small accent area you could just make an in-place extrusion for it.

Message 19 of 24

@zahidkhanpak101 wrote:

DEAR ALL I USED A CORRUGATED PANEL IN MY CURTAIN WALL BUT WHEN I WANT TO ATTACH THE WALL TO ROOF ITS NOT WORKING EVEN MANUALL MAKING PROFILE FOR WALL ALSO NOT WORKING WHY.PLEASE HELP?

Because curtain wall, unlike regular Revit walls, don't have the same capabilities as regular walls with regards to that functionality.

Message 20 of 24

@constantin.stroescu wrote:

Thanks for the idea.....what is not very clear for me is how to make a relation between the standard dimensions of the trapezoid shapes that make a corrugated steel sheet ( we use Hoesch standards) and  the streching process when inserting the panel into the cell of the curtain wall  so not to alterate the trapez standard dimensions....

Perhaps the cell must be  modulate so to fit the standard dimensions of the sheets...

I don't know WHY this works, but I built my panel for a 1' repeat, and I set my vertical layout to 1' to match it. But Even if I change the spacing to something higher, the ridge doesn't stretch...only the flat part stretches. Perhaps it only gets stretched inwards/outwards from the center??? I don't know, but it works as it is.

cor03.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report