Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct way for importing 3D alignments

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
alistair.heanen
1100 Views, 3 Replies

Correct way for importing 3D alignments

Hello everyone,I am new to Revit and am currently looking at bringing in a road alignment as a dwg file from autoCAD. I can bring it in ok and it appears in some of my levels and elevations (still not sure how to properly control them) but how can I set up corresponding levels and grids for my road whilst keeping the roads original coordinates?  thank you for any help you can give me.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
LisaDrago
in reply to: alistair.heanen

Hello and Welcome to the Discussion!

I will make a few assumptions here:

Your AutoCAD file has Z axis coordinates.  So you are looking to set up levels in Revit that correspond to the correct Elevation (Z axis) - correct?

In an elevation view you can set the level to the correct height (Z axis). Image elevation attached for reference.

Any part of the dwg that is 'cut' at this elevation will be shown on the corresponding floor plan.

If there is portions that are not showing - you may need to modify your View Range. You will find this in the properties of the view. Image of view range dialog box attached for reference.

Now I may be totally off on what you are looking for... So let me know and if you can post some images to help clarify what you are looking for.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 4
alistair.heanen
in reply to: LisaDrago

Hello Lisa,

My name is Brian Falconer. I am working with Alistair and am following up with this query. Thank you very much for your help.

I have been trying to import a 3D road / tunnel alignment into Revit. When I do so it throws up a few problems:

1 Firstly due to its X, Y co-ordinates to places the alignment somewhere I cannot view. When I insert it into a level, eg. Level 1, I cannot find it in that layer, I can only view it in 3D.

2 I am able to view the alignment in the east, west or south elevation but in these views the level markers eg Level 0  - 0, Level 1 – 4000 are very far away and I am unable to move then over to my alignment.

3 When I link or import my Dwg. File it throws up two error messages:

-Some ACIS objects could not be imported. To import them, use AutoCAD to convert them into polymesh objects and reimport.

-None of the created elements are visible in Floor Plan: Level 0 View. You may want to check the active view, its Parameters, and Visibility settings, as well as any Plan Regions and their settings.

In my revit training we concentrated on a building model so I am finding it quite difficult to apply this knowledge to a 3D road layout.

For your information my goal is that I can place services, eg. Signs, lights, CCTV cameras at exact points along the tunnel alignment so that we can check there are no points where something is within the stated clearance of the tunnel.

Thank you for any help you can provide and if you have any ideas counld you reply to brian.falconer@amey.co.uk if possible as the emails are coming through to alistair and he is really busy at the minute.

Regards

Brian

Message 4 of 4
LisaDrago
in reply to: alistair.heanen

I apoligize for the delay in responding...

for your questions:

1. - if you brought it in and cannot see it at 'level 1' then level 1 is not cutting through the import. The elevation is not set correctly. If you look at an elevation - North, South, East, or West - can you see your import and the levels? Is level 1 cutting through the import?

2. Okay - I htink you already alsered #1 here... yes in an elevation you can see the actual elevation and then where the levels are - you can move these levels to where you need them. the default in revit for level 1 is 0'-0"... so move it where ever you need it to be - either dragging it to a new position or changing the text.

3. so yes - some AutoCAD elements cannot be viewd in Revit - if you can convert them to polymesh should help. and the not visible message goes to both question 1 & 2 - once you change the elevation of the level - you will be able to see it.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report