Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corner Trim on Exterior wall

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
HomesByDundee
12829 Views, 5 Replies

Corner Trim on Exterior wall

Hello again, I am all but finished my template, and I thank everyone for their help in the process, I have only one more question or two.

Part of the design for vinyl siding includes corner trim pieces, it's a standard application. We would like to show that in our models, but I have no clue how to creat a vertical sweep. Is there any way to add a small piece like this in a wall type? It must extend the full height of the wall, and appear only at the corners. Please let me know if there is a good solution to this problem. Thanks.

Also, in many of our models, we employ a dutch gable roof style on the front with a wood shingle facade. On the top of the shingles are vertical metal battens spaced evenly from top to bottom. I am wondering/ hoping if there might be a way to add this feature (battens) to a wall type.

Thanks in advance.

Cory - Homes By Dundee

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ccollins
in reply to: HomesByDundee

The corner trim could actually be done with thin walls, with a only vinyl material. You could edit profile at the top if they intersect sloping roofs, gables, etc. They could be Grouped and copied around where needed.

Another way would be model in-place, but that is not a best-practice.

Another way would be line-based families, but I've not tried this option.

You could try using Vertical Reveals to depict the battens, or perhaps use an in-place family, or line-based families.

I have seen some use of curtainwalls for things like these battens.

Parts could also be used, with the new "gap" and "profile" feature to depict joints/battens, etc.

Unfortunately there are no good "automatic" tools for embedding vertical trim in walls, so the trim has to be "applied" manually.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 6
HomesByDundee
in reply to: ccollins

I think  the curtain wall thing will work nicely for the battens, thank you. As for corner trim, could you explain how I would do the thin walls? Do you mean just to draw and align over top of the existing exterior walls?

Message 4 of 6
ccollins

Yes. Then Group them, name "corner trim", and copy around where needed, ungroup if required, edit, regroup, etc.

Seems a bit cryptic but it actually works and goes pretty fast.

I cannot think of a good way to embed vertical trim in the wall itself.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 6
HomesByDundee
in reply to: ccollins

Thanks so much for your help. 🙂

Cheers.

Message 6 of 6
mbelizar20

14069_253_2.jpg

hello..

who can help me also with my concern regarding creating a rib on a wall.

im making a wall with a horizontal and vertical rib specifically tapered rib.

is there a possiblity i can create irt?

i tried using the sweep and reveal but still doesnt work since i cannot edit the sweep and i wanted it to be tapered.

please help me on how to create a tapered rib attached to the wall.

as per attached photo.

Big thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report