Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying Section Views (lines) between two rvt-files

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
samu3
11594 Views, 6 Replies

Copying Section Views (lines) between two rvt-files

Hi,

Say you have a section that is defined on a particular floor plan. The Revit project file has been received from an architect, and the said section was generated by you after receiving the file.

The architect updates their model not containing the section, and you receive the new model file. How do you go about generating that same section in the exact same location in the new model? The goal is to produce a section of precisely the same location but with the updated geometry.

We have tried copy pasting from the older project file's floor plan to the new one without success. Also, Insert 2D elements from File has failed to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Samu

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
gustavomello
in reply to: samu3

Well, i tested here and worked. Select the section on your floor plan, go to new project floor plan and use "paste aligned to current view". You'll have a problem if the architect changes the project in a way your section falls over a wall for instance, or if he changes the position of the building.

With the 2D elements it´s the same. The biggest headache you could have will be with dimensions: even without any changes they are likelly to loose some references. With a lot of changes obviously comes  a lot of lost references. In a close second place are tags, but they are easier to manage.

Any changes you've made to the appearance you can transfer with view templates via "transfer project standards"

Hope it helps.

Gustavo

Message 3 of 7
subhra_civil

Hi,

Gustavo's suggetion is correct. If you are just failed to resolved your problem after using Gustavo's suggetion then just follow my image file. Can be helpful for you. My suggetoin will apply on your Architect's new file.

Thanks & regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Kolkata

India

Message 4 of 7
samu3
in reply to: gustavomello

Hi Gustavo,

You are absolutely correct. The reason why "paste aligned to current view" was not working for me is that I had the old and the new project files open in two separate Revit sessions! Once I opened them in the same session, paste worked without any problems.

I guess my problem stemmed from being used to AutoCAD copy/paste, where you can actually copy geometry to Windows clipboard, whereas Revit does not work the same way.

Thanks so much for your help and have a great weekend!

Samu
Message 5 of 7
gustavomello

You're welcome.

Gustavo

---
Este email está limpo de vírus e malwares porque a proteção do avast! Antivírus está ativa.
http://www.avast.com
Message 6 of 7

So I'm assuming this is all just a giant prank, right? Because as best I can tell, there's no such thing as Paste Aligned. In fact there's no Paste at all. Why does Autodesk do this? Literally every single one of these I click on is based on an alternate reality where stuff exists that doesn't actually exist.

Message 7 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: dpatterson4YLXQ

@dpatterson4YLXQ wrote:

So I'm assuming this is all just a giant prank, right? Because as best I can tell, there's no such thing as Paste Aligned. In fact there's no Paste at all. Why does Autodesk do this? Literally every single one of these I click on is based on an alternate reality where stuff exists that doesn't actually exist.

Prank or not.  There is Paste Aligned, long with other Paste...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report