Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy to clipboard - duplicate items between projects.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
GPR_MN
1005 Views, 4 Replies

Copy to clipboard - duplicate items between projects.

Ive been ignoring this for a while, but would like to understand why when copying to clipboard and pasting between projects, a host of items that do not display in the filter upon selection seem to all of a sudden be included when I paste into a new project.

We are transitioning to Revit and a large portion of details are in CAD. I have set up a Revit purge file to import cad to, convert and rename line types before bringing details into our project file.

When I select the items in the purge file to import, (see image - ImportFilter.png) its strictly lines and text items,

But when I paste it into the project file, it then gives the Duplicate Items warning (see image - ImportExtras.png), and notifies my that I am inserting Level Heads, Callout Tags, Floor Plans and a Viewport.

The question is then, when you marquee select items within Revit, what else are you importing aside from the items that would show up in the Filter?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
alan.quinn
in reply to: GPR_MN

If you select from left top to lower right only items that are completely in the crossing window are included in the selection. If you go from lower right to upper left anything that is touched is selected. 

I do not see any issues in image ImportFilter.png. When you paste into another file Revit will display the massage you are getting in image ImportExtras.png if any of the elements are already present. This is as design and the application is working as expected. As explained above you only get what you selected depending on what way you select. Revit will not pick up other elements in other views, below, above, etc. 

Hope this helps and let me know if you have additional questions or comments.

Message 3 of 5
GPR_MN
in reply to: alan.quinn

Thanks for the reply,

Im up to speed on the difference in marquee selection directions and the Filter Dialog is a result of the left to right motion as you mentioned.

The question is then, when I select a Level in section, it shows up in the filter as Level, and a Viewport lists as View.

Why does then a Level and a Viewport then show up in the Duplicate Items Import warning when it is not in the Filter from what I have selected in a plan view, and rendering materials and Callout Head for that matter. I would expect there to be a parallel between what is displayed in the Filter upon selection and what is pasted into another project.

This isnt a roadblock for workflow, just trying to figure out what actually happens when you copy to clipboard between projects.

Message 4 of 5
alan.quinn
in reply to: GPR_MN

See my comments below (I'm working in 2014, but 2015 will give the same results, what version are you in?)

You said: The question is then, when I select a Level in section, it shows up in the filter as Level, and a Viewport lists as View

My comment: If I copy Levels in Section I get 2 Levels and the wall (see Copy Level in Section image). This is expected as Revit cannot see the level views, just the level line.

You said: Why does then a Level and a Viewport then show up in the Duplicate Items Import warning when it is not in the Filter from what I have selected in a plan view, and rendering materials and Callout Head for that matter.

My comment:If I copy elevations, sections and wall in plan I get 3 elevations, 4 views and 1 wall (see Copy_Elevations_Sections_Wall_in_Plan image). Again, this is expected as this time Revit can see the views and all displays correctly in the Filter. If I Paste > Aligned to Current View assuming I did not move the elevations in the host file I will now have elevations on top of elevations and it will not indicate duplicates.   

You said: I would expect there to be a parallel between what is displayed in the Filter upon selection and what is pasted into another project.

My comment: These are system families and it appears that they will not give the duplicate warning. If you try copy and pasting a desk into the same place you will get the warning. However, your elevations will show up in the Browser and it a fairly easy process to delete then.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have follow up questions or comments. Thanks again,

Message 5 of 5
GPR_MN
in reply to: alan.quinn

I think you neglected to attach images to illustrate your response in the last post, but aside from that I dont think we are on the same page.

Not sure how to say this so you can understand.

In the first post, those are clips of a single act of a left to right marquee selection over LINES, TEXT AND DETAIL ITMES EXCLUSIVELY.  Meaning there was no views levels, families, anything other than what was mentioned selected. I then Copy to Clipboard and after that I then click on the Filter to confirm what I have selected. I then captured that filter image as ImportFilter.png.

Then, I paste into another project and what results is the ImportExtras.png, with dialog that says there is a bunch of things that did not show up in the Filter when I confirmed what was selected.

The question was, when you marquee select items within Revit, what else are you importing aside from the items that would show up in the Filter?

Im only carrying this conversation forward because I have recevied two auto-prompts to designate this as solved and a survey on this forum interaction. So, Autodesk is asking for it apparenlty.  And 'This is behaving as Expected' is not the answer I was looking for.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report