Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy/paste groups from one view to another

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
some-1
9341 Views, 6 Replies

Copy/paste groups from one view to another

I am having a problem with copy/paste of drafting elements (detail lines, detail items) from one view to another. Basically, I am copying a detail of section created in a ‘Drafting View’ onto an actual wall ‘Section View’. Then I receive an error message that cannot be ignored saying [Cannot paste view-specific elements from different views]. So I am not sure what is happening. The elements that I am copying and pasting are mainly drafting work.

I also noticed that copy/paste part of the drafted work sometimes work. But when I copy the whole drafted work from ‘Drafted View’ to ‘Section View. It gives me the error!!

Thanks for the help
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: some-1

I have come across the same issue. Trying to copy paste drafting elements from a detail to a section and get the same error. I can copy each element one at a time but I can not select a group of elements and copy them. What gives….
Message 3 of 7
Scott_Womack

The issue is that you are trying to copy the items from a 2D viewport into a 3D Model view port. It shouldn't be that way but it is. Get the detail items into one section viewport, then make the detail group. It will copy from one section to another just fine then.
Message 4 of 7
basilmir

Found a way around this... believe it or not, this is still an issue in Revit 2014.

We had some huge detail groups that didn't want to copy from one Drafting View to another Drafting View. Apparently there is no way around this BUT you can create the huge group beforehand and Duplicate with Detailing and create a duplicate of the entire view. Now you can go on and mirror this group and apply transformations, changes will propagate correctly between the two.

You will have to use this view from now on and copy all other elements to it.

Message 5 of 7
arunag
in reply to: basilmir

This information was given under Help topic regarding copying ..

View-specific elements should be copied using the method that copies from one view to another. That method can be used for both view-specific and model elements however, drafting views cannot be used as a destination for model elements. The pasted elements are repositioned to ensure proper placement in the destination view. For example, the elevation is changed when copying from one level to another. An additional transformation within the destination view can be performed by providing the optional Transform argument. This additional transformation must be within the plane of the destination view.

Hence the error...

Aruna
School of Architecture
Ramaiah Institute of Technology
Bangalore
Message 6 of 7
pma
Community Visitor
in reply to: arunag

The text from the Help section is not relevant to the issue here and this remains a bug in Revit 2014.

Pasting model elements into a drafting view is a different (and obvious) issue.  Moving 2-D ELEMENTS from a drafting view TO a section view should be possible but is not always.  The problem is sporadic - some elements will copy from some views while others will not copy to different views.

Message 7 of 7
DavidsDesk
in reply to: pma

We had the same error for drafting view, when trying to "Insert Views from File"

This happened because users were including dimension strings in detail groups

Tested each detail by copy paste into an empty drafting view to find the corrupted view

Some views had no dims anymore, but the bug hangs around

Did not have to duplicate view with detail, just grouped all of the elements and mirrored twice, then ungrouped.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report