Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controling Linked Layers

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tddonoho
2906 Views, 4 Replies

Controling Linked Layers

Using Revit 2014, I link in a dwg file.  I open a view and using V/G overides for Imported Categories, I turn off the Acad layers I don't want to see.  Then the next time my dwg file is updated, the V/G will remain the same and I won't have to reset the layer views.  This is good.

Now I duplicate this view for additional views I need in my project.  But I need to apply a different View Template to each view.  This destroys the original V/G settings that I had set up for the dwg file.

Is there a way to set up my linked file so that it retains the layer on/off settings through each update and lock it.  Then I can apply different View Templates to introduce other characteristics without altering the desired layer settings.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
damo3
in reply to: tddonoho

If I understand correctly from your post, you want to apply a view template which is different for each view, however is the same for the imported visibility? So set up blank VT and adjust the DWG layers. Then duplicate new VT with these base settings.

Or set up your DWG file how you would like to see it in revit (with layers turned off) then when you import, select import visible from the drop down menu.

Hope it helps!

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 3 of 5
tddonoho

I have preset Layer States in my Autocad Template.  When I xref a background dwg file into my template, I can control the visibility of the xref layers from my new project.  When I receive a new background, I use it to replace the old one and my xref layer settings do not need to be reset.

In the Revit scenario of the above technique, I turn off the layers of the linked dwg file before linking.  Then the appearance is good for all my Revit VT's.  However the next time I receive a background, I have to make the same layer changes to the dwg file once again before linking.

It would seem that there would be a way to globally set the visibilities of the CAD layers from inside Revit.  This visibility state would not change from VT to VT.

As you say, I can set up a blank VT and adjust the DWG layers there.  Then duplicate it with the new layer settings.  However then I need to change/add all the other settings I need to the new VT's.  I would think there would be a way to do this easily.

Thanks for your ideas.

Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch

You could uncheck V/G Overrides Import in the View Templates you assign to your views, and then create a View Template that only has V/G Overrides Import checked.  In the latter, set up the way you want to view the layers within your DWG links.  Apply this View Template to a new view, and then assign the desired View Template to control the balance of the settings.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
tddonoho

Thank you!

That did the trick.  Very smart.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report