Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Label Text with Parameters

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
IMCornish
7769 Views, 9 Replies

Control Label Text with Parameters

I don't think it can be, but wonder if it is possible to control 'Label' text using a parameter?  For instance a simple 2D symbol family for a Smoke Detector might have the Label, 'SD' identifying it as such and if the 'SD' were controlled by a family parameter then the same family might include a Call Point symbol where the 'Label' parameter might be 'CP'.

Is there a way without the workaround of a second symbol family?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
L.Maas
in reply to: IMCornish

Andrew,

Maybe I am missing something. If you look at one of the standard symbols part of the Revit (2015) library, Anno_Smoke_Detector.rfa.

It already has a label and is controlled by a type parameter (Label). If needed it can be changed into a family parameter.

Then with a single family you can enter different text while placing the symbol in a project

Or did you have something else in mind?

Symbol.png

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 10
IMCornish
in reply to: L.Maas

I cannot find the Anno_Smoke_Detector.rfa file,  however there are a number of annotations that have a 'Label' or a 'Label Annotation' type parameter but they do not appear to be linked having no 'button' in the properties of the label connecting it to the family type parameter as per usual and since I was flexing the family in 'family edit' mode and the label text did not change I had assumed it did not work.  Your illustration has helped me find that it works when imported into a project, thank you.

Now if you can explain how I can change the text colour of the label for different family types then I would be over the moon

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 4 of 10
L.Maas

Would this solve your problem?

Smoke Detector.png

Basically I made within the family three types.

Unfortynately text color can not be changed with a parameter. So what I have done i creted three different text types, each with a dfferent color. With a parameter I change the letter type. So basically this annotation contains three times the same label depending on the choice tow are always hidden.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 10
IMCornish

Very clever, makes the file a little bigger but a very acceptible workaround. Thanks again.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 6 of 10
IMCornish

Another related issue which you may be able to spread some light upon.  The 'Smoke Detector' is a 'Generic Annotation' and I am wondering if the ability to change the 'Label' text in the way we have discussed is only availible in that family catagory?

I have since tried to edit a 'Tag' family such that the 'Label' includes the 'Mark' and an optional 'Comment'.  However having added an instance parameter, matching a 'shared' family parameter 'Comment' and added it to the Label Text it does not appear for editing when included in a project.  I then seperated the 'Comment' parameter from the 'Mark' parameter in the Label and created a seperate 'Label' for the 'Comment' parameter but this did not appear for editing in the project environment either.

Specifically I wanted, for instance, to be able to add a comment to the tag such that a pipe had its mark then could have the comment 'SVP' (soil vent pipe) for clarity. Is this possible?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 7 of 10
CoreyDaun

The Labels within a Generic Annotation Family are driven by Family Parameters within that Family. However, Tag Families are a completely different animal. Tags can only read/report data and the Labels within a Tag Family pull this data directly from the host Element in the Project. You cannot utilize the Parameters that reside within the Tag Family in any way other than to control the appearance of the Tag. For instance, you could control whether or not a separate 'Comment' Label is visible but you could not control the contents of it.

In order to pull that off, the Shared Parameter 'Comment' must reside in both the Tag Family's Label and in the Host Families within the Project. This Parameter can be added to the Families one-by-one or as a Project Parameter that applies to all Elements belonging to the specified Category.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 10
IMCornish
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Am obliged Corey, it makes logical sense doesn't it? For my own clarity and using my example....if I gave the family an instance parameter called 'Comment', could I then have it repeated in the tag?
Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 9 of 10
CoreyDaun

Yes. If both the smoke detector Family and the Tag Family's Label contain that same Shared Parameter, then the Tag will report the value of that Shared Parameter, pulling the data from the smoke detector. You could edit the value of that 'Comment' though the Tag in the Project by double-click on the Tag (provided your double-click settings permit).

FYI - In lieu of using a custom Shared Parameter, you could use the default "Comments" System Parameter that is present in all elements by default in a Project. You won't have to worry about the extra step of adding a Shared Parameter to the Families or Project.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, just for the added info, one could theoretically create a Generic Annotation Family with a Label (driven by a Family Parameter), load that into the Tag Family, and then link that Family Parameter to a 'Comment' Parameter (Instance) in the Tag Family. The problem with this method is that Instance Parameters in Tag Families are NOT accessible in the Project environment. So, you could have the 'Comment' contained within the Tag Family itself, but it could only be used as a TYPE Parameter, which severely limits it usefulness.

I hope that last part doesn't create any confusion - I though it would be worthy of mentioning in case anyone else thought to explore that route.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 10 of 10
IMCornish
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks again Corey, appreciate your help. It is clear in my mind now.
Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report