Revit Architecture

Valued Contributor
roothcad
Message 1 of 4 (334 Views)
Accepted Solution

Conditional Statement to insert door offset or centered

334 Views, 3 Replies
01-16-2013 08:09 AM

Is it possible to read the current wall thickness of a door's host and use that dimension in a conditional statement to locate the frame's setback?

If the wall is deeper than the frame I want the door flush with the wall, if the frame is deeper than the wall, I want the door centered.

I set up a Wall Width paramenter in my door family but I keep getting the "Inconsistent units" error message.

Any insight would be appreciated!

This functionality is only available from Revit 2011 onwards.  As Alfredo pointed out, dimensioning to the wall thickness will create a reporting parameter, this can then be used within instance based formulas.

Attached is my recommended formulas to control this.  By putting the Calculated Frame Width back into the Wall Setback formula it ensures the frame is never wider than the wall thickness. 

In addition when creating the reporting parameter, unsure you tab to select the wall exterior edges and not the reference plance.  I've found that you get better results reporting from geometry rather than reference plans.

Hope this helps.

K

Excellent - thanks for the explanation. I was tripped up by trying to have the type parameter use the wall thickness info.

Cheers

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 4 (300 Views)

Re: Conditional Statement to insert door offset or centered

01-25-2013 01:01 PM in reply to: roothcad

Put a dimension between the faces of the wall, as an instance reporting parameter. Then, use that parameter in a formula.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Active Contributor
kfielding
Message 3 of 4 (266 Views)

01-29-2013 02:07 AM in reply to: roothcad

This functionality is only available from Revit 2011 onwards.  As Alfredo pointed out, dimensioning to the wall thickness will create a reporting parameter, this can then be used within instance based formulas.

Attached is my recommended formulas to control this.  By putting the Calculated Frame Width back into the Wall Setback formula it ensures the frame is never wider than the wall thickness. 

In addition when creating the reporting parameter, unsure you tab to select the wall exterior edges and not the reference plance.  I've found that you get better results reporting from geometry rather than reference plans.

Hope this helps.

K

Kevin Fielding
BIM Manager, AEW Architects
Manchester, UK

If my post solves your issue, please accept this as a solution and give me a thumbs up!
Valued Contributor
roothcad
Message 4 of 4 (252 Views)

01-29-2013 06:12 AM in reply to: roothcad

Excellent - thanks for the explanation. I was tripped up by trying to have the type parameter use the wall thickness info.

Cheers

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!