Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparison of BIM software

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
claybaker
1868 Views, 5 Replies

Comparison of BIM software

I'm considering making the jump to BIM, and have heard all sorts of viewpoints about various products - Revit, Bentley, ESSI, CATIA, etc. In fact, I was just given a copy of Information Week's January 26th edition with the cover and lead article on Building Intelligence. Does anyone have any thoughts, or could you point me to objective, fact-based sources for determining the various features and trade-offs from one product to another? Any and all information would be helpful. P.S. If you saw the Information Week article, what did you think?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: claybaker

I have read the article. The man mentioned, Larry Rocha, and other members of his firm, WATG, are frequent contributors to this newsgroup, as well as to www.zoogdesign.com/forums I suggest you go there to read what people who use Revit have to say about it. It is the most active Revit forum on the web. Greg "claybaker" wrote in message news:9864405.1076957611574.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I'm considering making the jump to BIM, and have heard all sorts of viewpoints about various products - Revit, Bentley, ESSI, CATIA, etc. In fact, I was just given a copy of Information Week's January 26th edition with the cover and lead article on Building Intelligence. Does anyone have any thoughts, or could you point me to objective, fact-based sources for determining the various features and trade-offs from one product to another? Any and all information would be helpful. P.S. If you saw the Information Week article, what did you think?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

More at zoog and not so much here... "Greg Cashen" wrote in message news:403139d9$1_3@newsprd01... > I have read the article. The man mentioned, Larry Rocha, and other members > of his firm, WATG, are frequent contributors to this newsgroup, as well as > to www.zoogdesign.com/forums > > I suggest you go there to read what people who use Revit have to say about > it. It is the most active Revit forum on the web. > > Greg > > > "claybaker" wrote in message > news:9864405.1076957611574.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > I'm considering making the jump to BIM, and have heard all sorts of > viewpoints about various products - Revit, Bentley, ESSI, CATIA, etc. In > fact, I was just given a copy of Information Week's January 26th edition > with the cover and lead article on Building Intelligence. Does anyone have > any thoughts, or could you point me to objective, fact-based sources for > determining the various features and trade-offs from one product to another? > Any and all information would be helpful. P.S. If you saw the Information > Week article, what did you think? > >
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

The article was pretty generalised. Architects, for reasons I can't quite grasp, are finally beginning to clue in on the idea that maybe it's possible and maybe it's a good idea to start considering the jump to a 3D building model paradigm. Up til now you didn't have too many choices, and really, Revit is only the newest choice. ArchiCAD and Bentley's Triforma products were both relatively effective tools for doing BIM. Triforma is best compared to ADT: you model up each floor of the building in plans and assemble it into a master model from which your sections and elevations are largely generated. ArchiCAD and Revit have the whole building in one file, so it's a lot easier to see where you're at and continue onwards. ArchiCAD has real problems in the multi-user environment -- lots of annoyance and frustration -- and learning Revit's worksets feature does take a few days. Thankfully Revit's multiuser stability is good with only occasional hiccups which you can nearly always sort out. The ADT team is no doubt working hard to make ADT as usable as Revit, but it still isn't. If you don't have ADT, there's no point in pursuing it: you'll get up to speed much faster with Revit, and you'll have way more fun! My $0.02 worth... "claybaker" wrote in message news:9864405.1076957611574.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I'm considering making the jump to BIM, and have heard all sorts of viewpoints about various products - Revit, Bentley, ESSI, CATIA, etc. In fact, I was just given a copy of Information Week's January 26th edition with the cover and lead article on Building Intelligence. Does anyone have any thoughts, or could you point me to objective, fact-based sources for determining the various features and trade-offs from one product to another? Any and all information would be helpful. P.S. If you saw the Information Week article, what did you think?
Message 5 of 6
JEdwards

Clay, like most things it will be difficult for you to get un-biased information in any discussion specific group. You can find some BIM comparison info. with CADALYST, CADENCE and probably at tenlinks.com. But discussion groups will be biased (as they should be). Also, it somewhat depends upon what industry you are with (commercial, residential). They all have different pros and cons for differnet applications. We looked at Revit and think it has long term potential but we have thousands of legacy DWG files that we must maintain and continue to work in hence our reasons for staying on AutoCAD / ADT. Non are as easy as anybody might make them sound. Revit does have a good start but sales have been slow and adoption the same plus the labor market has not adopted and begun turning out students on Revit partially due to the large dependence on AutoCAD. Anyway, just my suggestions. Have a good one!
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

JEdwards, Have you looked into the Revit Series, which bundles base AutoCAD and Revit together? You basically get Revit, and AutoCAD comes along for only a couple hundred bucks more. Not sure of the exact pricing, but contact your reseller. Sounds like the perfect combo for someone like you who wants to use Revit, but has a ton of legacy DWG files that you still need access to. SD "JEdwards" wrote in message news:25143342.1077577943899.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Clay, like most things it will be difficult for you to get un-biased information in any discussion specific group. You can find some BIM comparison info. with CADALYST, CADENCE and probably at tenlinks.com. But discussion groups will be biased (as they should be). Also, it somewhat depends upon what industry you are with (commercial, residential). They all have different pros and cons for differnet applications. We looked at Revit and think it has long term potential but we have thousands of legacy DWG files that we must maintain and continue to work in hence our reasons for staying on AutoCAD / ADT. Non are as easy as anybody might make them sound. Revit does have a good start but sales have been slow and adoption the same plus the labor market has not adopted and begun turning out students on Revit partially due to the large dependence on AutoCAD. Anyway, just my suggestions. Have a good one!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report