Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common type parameter that works across multiple family types

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Cy4
Contributor
223 Views, 2 Replies

Common type parameter that works across multiple family types

I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer to this, but I have been surprised before.  Is there a way to have a common type parameter that "reads" the same across all types of a particular family?  In other words, I have a family with various types already set (i.e. Family1 - type A, Family1 - type B, Family1 - type C, etc.) but regardless of which type is selected, they all share a common type parameter that when changed in a project changes across all.  Let's say type A is a rectangle, type B is a circle, and type C is a triangle.  But all three types have the letter "A" inside.  I want to be able to switch in and out of the types (in the case, shapes) but also control the rotation of the letter "A" across all regardless of which type.  So, if the letter "A" is rotated 45 degrees within the rectangle, when I switch the type to a circle, the letter "A" is still rotated 45 degrees.

Keeping fingers crossed.  Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Cy4

It is possible with nested families. Suppose that we have families A, B, and C, and all of them have an angle parameter. Then you to load these families into a host family, let's say, D, in which you create a local angle parameter. Then, you tie the angle parameter from each one of the nested families to the local angle parameter in the host. By changing the value of this local angle parameter in family D, it should cause the desired effect on all the 3 nested families.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 3
Cy4
Contributor
in reply to: Cy4

Thank you!  My mistake was that I had the rotating object/parameter in only the host family / outside of the nested families.  Therefore when I created the various types or selected between the nested family types, I kept losing that rotation parameter.  Instead, you need to put that in each of the nested or child families and link as you had suggested.  Many many thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report