Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Column-Wall snapping,

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
JamaL9722060
3178 Views, 11 Replies

Column-Wall snapping,

Column-wall snapping

In the screenshots below, when moving a column, the snap (endpoint) is working from its corner to the corner of the wall, but this endpoint snap doesn’t appear at the corner of the indicated layer of the wall!

Why there is no endpoint snap there?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

Clip_126.jpg

Clip_127.jpg

Clip_128.jpg

---------------------------
Jamal Numan
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi You can do it with the Align tool

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12

Many thanks for the help and the screenshot,

Snap is much easier than doing this with “align”!

Why the snap is still weak in the Revit? Snap is as the “soul” when it comes to drawings.

Jamal Numan
Message 4 of 12
cvandevere
in reply to: JamaL9722060

Place intersecting column grids in your plan at the locations you want. The columns will snap to the grid intersections.

CDV
Message 5 of 12
JamaL9722060
in reply to: cvandevere

Many thanks

What such difficult issue to have a snap at that corner of the wall?

Is this problem still in Revit 2013?

Jamal Numan
Message 6 of 12
cvandevere

I haven't tried to snap column to a wall to in 2013. My work flow is a little different, I place my column grids then add columns then add walls. I can insert walls at corner point or center point of a column if I wnat too.

CDV
Message 7 of 12
JamaL9722060
in reply to: cvandevere

Many thanks for the answer.

As you know, many architects don’t start by grids! And thus columns are placed and then centre lines are then set. I’m talking about this case in particular.

I have the impression that the Revit needs a lot of enhancement in snaps.

Jamal Numan
Message 8 of 12
bilal255

Dear Jamal,

I searching for help regarding picking up or Selecting column from corner before placing, I can't continue using move command for every single column, As i have many columns to place and cursor has option only to place from center of column, Please find attachment for more understandingUntitled.jpg 

Waiting for your reply

Message 9 of 12
loboarch
in reply to: bilal255

@bilal255 wrote:

Dear Jamal,

I searching for help regarding picking up or Selecting column from corner before placing, I can't continue using move command for every single column, As i have many columns to place and cursor has option only to place from center of column, Please find attachment for more understandingUntitled.jpg 

Waiting for your reply

The position on the cursor of the element at the time of placement has to do with the family itself.  In order to be able to place a column from the corner position, you need to re-define the origin of the family.  The origin, where the family stick to the cursor at placement, is controlled by the "defines origin" parameter of the reference planes in the family. Where 2 reference planes with "defines origin" flagged intersect, that is where the cursor will be at placement. So in order to place a column from the corner you will need to edit the family, add reference planes at the corner and then set them to defines origin.

2017-11-01_0932.png

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 10 of 12
JamaL9722060
in reply to: loboarch

Many thanks bilal and loboarch for the input

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan
Message 11 of 12
bilal255
in reply to: loboarch

It took me sometime to define origin but it worked, Thanks for your time and Effort Sir !!

Best Regards

Message 12 of 12
Hazem.Elamir

some time snapping not automatically working,

type se while moving the column to forth the end point snap

this always work with me

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report