Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colour key

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
chris_pitt
1498 Views, 4 Replies

Colour key

Hi

I'm working on an area drawing which has a number of colours and an automatically generated key.

Can the key be copied to become a legend that can be applied (exactly where I want it!) on a number of sheets?  Also can the automatic key be customized?  It's a small thing but the descriptive text is too close to the coloured boxes.

Any thought?

Regards

Christopher Alan Pitt

Frank Shaw Associates

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
aghis_no
in reply to: chris_pitt

In order to create color schemes for rooms and/or areas you need to know the following (step by step) :

1 the color scheme definition

It is stored in the project file.

It can be accessed through the ribbon>architecture>room&area by developing the hidden part of the tab.

Here you can define the different definition of schemes you wish to use: if it colors the rooms by name, size etc. and the colors.

2. the color scheme is a "property" of a view and it is stored in the view properties

You apply the color scheme trough the view properties palette.

You can apply the scheme to any view room objects are visible (section, plans etc.)

3. use a view template to propagate the color scheme to other views

One you are satisfied with the way your drawing looks (colors of the color scheme etc.) you can create a view template of the current view in order to apply it to all other views you need.

You can do that while in the current view through the ribbon>View>View templates>Create template from the current view.

Then you can go to any other view and through the properties palette of the view apply the previously save view template.

4. you can add a legend (color indexed legend) to you view.

the legend is an annotation object and therefore stored in the view. You will need to add color fill legends to all the views individually if needed.

You can do that trough the ribbon>annotate>color fill>color fill legend.

hope it helps

aghis

Message 3 of 5
chris_pitt
in reply to: aghis_no

Hi

Thanks for the reply but that sort of misses the point.

What I want to have is ONE legend that I can place on the all the necessary sheets where I want it (in a sane relationship with the title block, not floating).  In essence the question is can I get one of the automatically generated keys to become a system family legend?

Regards

Christopher Alan Pitt

Frank Shaw Associates

Message 4 of 5
aghis_no
in reply to: chris_pitt

oh, ok I see.

I did not understand you question, sorry. Unfortunately, there is no "system family legend" as you suggest, or a color fill standalone object as it exists in AutoCAD Architecture. I can see two possible workarounds.

Workaround A

1. create a view (a plan view for example) to hide everything except the legend and the place the view on the sheet.

2. However, you will need to "duplicate with detailing" the view for each new sheet.

So this can work only if you have a very small project with very few sheets

Workaround B (What I usually do )

1. set the color scheme of each view without inserting a color fill legend.

2. layout your views on a sheet

3. "activate" the view that is located the nearest to the place on the sheet you want the color fill legend to be, and add the color legend only to that view (setting le legend to display all the values, not just the ones present in the view).

4. then deactivate the view on the sheet.

Hope it helps

aghis

Message 5 of 5
chris_pitt
in reply to: aghis_no

Thanks for your thoughts!

I went a third way in the end.  I just made a Legend which I can apply to as many drawings as I need.  There are issues with this approach (scales!), but not insurmountable ones.  That said, the advantage is I've got exactly the look I wanted for the key which needed some additional text relative to what Revit would auto generate.

Regards

Christopher Alan PItt

Frank Shaw Associates

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report