Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Scheme Value Change?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
jesser
17009 Views, 14 Replies

Color Scheme Value Change?

I created a color scheme based on the Department parameter.  I've named them accordingly and assigned colors to my liking.  I've created Depatment types for Circulation, Classroom, Core, Elevator, and so on.  Now I want to change the value of Classroom to Student / Instructional.  I can't seem to change the value with in the editing dialog for the Color Scheme.  Also when I change on of the Departments to the new name it creates another color and value. 

How do I change the name of a value once placed?

Jesse

Jesse Remick

"Sometimes the solution is so clear you see right through it."
Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: jesser

It is not possible to rename those names. You can remove them (with the "-" icon) if there are not any elements associated with that name yet. But no "rename". It's been mentioned as a wish list item.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 15
jesser

Thank you for your reply.

I second the item to the wishlist then as it would be great to have the flexibility to change your mind on name of a color scheme value. 

Jesse Remick

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 15
mhans_usa

It's 2014, don't they listen to us? How hard can that be?

Message 5 of 15
morana.medved

You can change names in the color scheme by creating a schedule of the areas in your particular scheme, and then changing the names in the schedule.  You will have to go into the color scheme afterwards to reassign the colors, but that usually takes less time than renaming each area independently on the plan.  Don't forget to sort the schedule by name and not itemize every instance, so you can change all areas with the same name at once.

Message 6 of 15

This doesn't really help.  

I'm currently looking at adding color schemes to our template files, but if you don't know the names of say the departments beforehand you can't do this.  What we need is to be able to assign placeholders and then adjust them as required for a particular project.  

I wouldn't mind so much if we could have our own standard colour palette but that's not possible at present - all I'm looking for here is to cut down on some wasted time on each project so that we can focus on stuff that matters... 

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 7 of 15

In case this is still an issue for anyone.  I added the new values into the colour scheme and substituted them into the position of the values I want to change. Then in the scheduling of these areas, I sort by the number assigned to the area in its properties tab ( congruent with the colour scheme ).  In my case, I hide the numbers column in the schedule afterwards.  

The old values are still present in the colour scheme, just that they are at the bottom of the list. If there are any changes to these values, this list will grow .. which is annoying. In some cases, I brake down the colour scheme into shorter lists ( level 0 - east wing / west wing, etc..), create separate colour scheme lists so that I can remove the titles from the colour legends and juxtapose the pieces of each legend in the layout into a single legend, Level 0 in the example above. 

Message 8 of 15
fwilmers
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION!!!! WTF  ITS ALMOST 2022

Message 9 of 15
mhironymous

I REALLY DON'T GET WHY THESE ARE FIXED VALUE NAMES.

Message 10 of 15

The names of an Area COLOR SCHEME can be edited indirectly by placing AREAS on a plan view.  Then edit the NAME in the Identity Data category of Properties for each AREA.  The NAME for each placed area then shows up in the Color Scheme and can be scheduled accordingly.

Message 11 of 15
anirudhUJGEK
in reply to: mhans_usa

2023 now. Still can't change them. 

Message 12 of 15
jesser

Sorry for the long, but hopefully helpful rant.
Just to bring this discussion back to the root of the issue.  I will assume most who will post on this topic  DO understand how to create, edit, utilize schedules and sorting to more efficiently make large quantities of changes when modifying a parameter which is being colored by a scheme.  None of that was ever the issue here.  The issue is SIMPLE.  Why can we NOT change a room or area's parametric value in the color scheme dialog box.  I know HOW to manage it with the current system, but I am not willing to accept it as the best way it COULD BE. 

Scenario:  We have created an existing program plan for a 300,000sf school building.  We have colored the hundreds of rooms by utilizing the Department parameter within the Room properties.  After creating the plan and assigning each room the Department title, the owner informs us that one of the department title is not the correct title.  WHY IN THE WORLD can we not change that title in the color scheme and have it correctly modify EVERY room's department parameter value?  I don't need to hear all the ways of how to make it work with the current setup, Trust us, WE KNOW.  We want to be able to make the change in the color scheme AND keep the color. 

Until then we will continue to sort working room schedules by the parameter being colored and not "Itemize every Instance" so that we can in one single typing action change the Parameter input, then open the color scheme and modify the NEW assigned color to the exact same group of rooms, such that it matches the color we've already assigned to that group(which is no longer applied to those rooms), just under a different now not being used parameter value, which we now have to delete to remove from the color scheme. 

Is this is a HUGE time sensitive deal?  Not really, but it also doesn't seem like a major change to make this process actually work well in a design helpful way. 

Jesse Remick

Message 13 of 15

What if my subtract button is also greyed out and can't remove the values? I can only add more values

Message 14 of 15
jesser
in reply to: rayketchman

@rayketchman

If your subtract button is greyed out that indicates you have elements that are assigned that parameter value, therefore you cannot delete that value.  You must reassign any value to another before being able to delete a parameter value.  If you see a "not placed" next to a value you are able to "subtract" that value from the scheme. 

Hopefully that helps.

Jesse Remick

Message 15 of 15
l.gu

11 year later and it still doesn't work. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report