Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloudscanning - best method to get as-built plans

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
HVAC-Novice
252 Views, 0 Replies

Cloudscanning - best method to get as-built plans

i googled around a lot to find a solution to possibly use cloud-scanning. What i mainly want is to get the existing building (inside and out) into a point cloud. Ideally i also get good deails on doorsizes, windows etc. 

I've seen to tutorials how to import a cloud and wonder if one has to manually trace the points to make a wall actually a functioning wall? and can Revit recognize on its own a window is a window and place the window family? andhow does th elaser or Revit know if an obstacle is furniture, or a person? I'm a bit afraid this cloudscanning still requires quite some manipulation. and if the wall has a weird shape (i.e. hsitoric building), can Revit create the aproppriate wallfamily? This all sound slike needing a lot of work. 

I'm also looking for advice what scanners may be good. I'm not really sure if i move the scanner isnide from room to room  how it tracks where it is in realtion to the last location. and the lasers look like they have to manually turn. 

We were planningg to maybe borrow a laser sscanner to try it out, but having soem better advice where to go would be nice. and is besides Revit and the scanner any other software/device needed/recommended to manipuate the data? 

I understand a scanner is expensive, so i want to be sure it actually saves us time. 

I also will try http://www.123dapp.com/catch and soem other software unearhed with google. but think taking pcitures wouldn't really work inside and coudl be laborious. 

My current method is to take the existing plans (if they exist) and go around the building with a laser distance meter and manually measure doorsizes, wall lenghts and note them on the plans and then manually build the model in Revit. this doesn't give me pipes, andother details short of being laborious. 

We also had one of our fieldstaff use one of the ciil engineering lasers. but this laser had to take each point separatley and since it was moved from room too room the model was kind of uneven and had to be corrected manyually. After all using my hand laser woudl have bene faster and more accurate. So we look for a better option and cloudscanning is one of the fancy words nowadays. 

I aplogize if the questions sound anive. I did research a lot and talked to someone who had used a scanner (but not for Revit). For many of my MEP designs getting the as-built architecture right is a large % of the effort. 

Revit version: R2024.2
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report