Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cladding above windows on brick house

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
autoMick
2152 Views, 7 Replies

Cladding above windows on brick house

Hi,

I have house with brick walls. I'd like to modify either the window/door or alternatively wall family so that when I place a wide window/door in the brick wall, the wall above the window is converted the cladding. The cladding would be inset from the face of the surrounding bricks like the photo below. The walls join to roof. Ideally, a external sloped brick window sill would also be added.

What's the best approach here?

Thanks

- Mick

Capture.JPG

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

In my oppinion there are two possible methods:

1. Make the Brick Wall , then inside it make the Cladding Wall with the width of the doors. Use Cut to Embed the Cladding Wall into the Brick Wall. Place the door into the Cladding Wall
  2. Make the Brick Wall , then inside it make a Curtain Wall . Use Cut to Embed the Curtain Wall into the Brick Wall. From Architecture >Build > Curtain Grid - trace a grid so to split the curtain wall into two panels. The upper panel - a Basic Wall , The bottom panel a Curtain Wall Door....(in my example I made a new family of curtain doors ,based on an existing family , so to obtain a door without glass panels)

see these two records that explain better the two methods from above:

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/eb90d629-8879-45d3-b4cf-bb767860c1ac

and

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/5f52e4b8-6c0a-4903-b67e-fef29fd306fb

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

Thanks Constantin, those are very informative examples.

I gather from this that it isn't a simple matter of defining a single family that will allow a 1-click addition to achieve the result I'm after.

The other technique I considered was to simply split the subject wall at the appropriate locations, then convert the middle section of wall to a cladding wall of the appropriate construction and then place the window/door. This seems a simpler way to achieve the outcome - what are the various advantages/disadvantages of my method and the two you have suggested?

Thanks

- Mick

Message 4 of 8

your method is ok, as long as you intend to go with the split part of the wall till the floor from above....

Otherwise I'd prefer the embeded wall , either Basic Wall or Curtain Wall

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 8

Try this family.

Simply add a basic wall based "panel" above any door family you want and link the parameters where needed. And you get any door you awlready have with a editable cladding panel above. You can do the same thing for panels at the side etc.

This "Clading panel" is simply a wall based rectangle with arrayed detail lines on it. There is no need to make a 3D version as it would be a bigger file size and has no benefit really. No need for overkill. 

See attached 

Hope this helps

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 6 of 8

All right then....but you have to accept that the cladding is not a diffferent type of wall , but rather a component of the door. In this case the cladding will not appear in Wall Schedules ......

If you want  the cladding to appear in door schedules as component of the doors then you have to make some changes into your family , introducing  a new subcategory with parametric dimensons and material for the cladding.

Now, this cladding is omitted by door schedule and also do not appear in wall schedule (as shown above)...and be absent in all material lists....

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 8

Yes ofcourse. This is just a basic example of the intent. Obviously you would modify it to suit what you are wanting it to function as. And your method of using a wall.curtain wall is much more effective if you are looking for a material take off. This was more for a "cladding panel with door" type of solution.

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 8 of 8
autoMick
in reply to: autoMick

Alisder and Constantin, thankyou for your responses - some good suggestions there that I will experiment with more. They all solve my basic problem, so it is just a matter of which strategy works best for me. I hadn't considered scheduling before... I don't think I will need it for this project, but always a good thing to make logical. Thanks again

- Mick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report