Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circular building woes - pitched circular flat roof, doors, copying and pasting

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
trevorpan
5545 Views, 7 Replies

Circular building woes - pitched circular flat roof, doors, copying and pasting

Hi,

Working on some little shops for a waterfront plaza.

They are circular storefront curtain walls.  It seems Revit has them in the same category.  

Roof: when I place a circular flat roof and define slope, it makes a cone roof.  So I tried starting with a square roof and trimming it.  It lost its ability to stay flat and pitch. After giving up, I thought I'd try to copy the same roof to the other plaza shops.  

Copying circular elements: For some reason I cannot snap to the center of the radius, even after hitting si.  

Doors: When I am in plan, or 3d, I cannot seem to select a curtain wall panel to change it to a door.  And, if anyone has an idea on how to show doors open for presentation purposes that would help.  I want to render this full of people with clothes and trinkets, etc.  Also, the lift-up doors, any ideas on how to show that?

Thank you much, and hope this solution helps others.

Revit 2014

Trevor Pan
http://www.trevorpan.com
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi ,

You have a lot of questions here....I'll try to answer some of them....

A. about roof: 

1. if you want to have a polygonal roof : Architecture > Roof > Roof by Footprint>Boundary Line -Circle - if you want to place the center of the roof exactly on the center of curved curtain wall use shortcut SC and click on the curtain wall - the center symbol appears (as a magenta small circle) - drag for radius ...Image 1
  2. While in Sketch Mode : Properties > Constraints > Number of Full Segments - set from here the number of edges of the polygonal shape....From :Properties >Dimensions >Slope - control the pitch of the roof - Image 2

B. about doors:

1. in axonometric 3d click (use TAB ) on the panel you want to place the door - it is pined because you use Type of curtain wall....and the Edit Type is inactif - Image 3. Click on the small symbol to unpin it - Image 4 . Now you can edit it....
  2. if the doors are not already loaded you have to do it look in Doors only those with the prefix :..Curtain Wall.... can be chosen - choose on type and load it...- Image 5
  3.  Image 6 shows how looks the doors inserted.
  4. If you want that the doors be open in 3 d view you have to use a curtain wall door family that is made in this way or you have to do your own family with these parameters...(search in Autodesk Seek - there are such types there)

C. For renders with entourage use RPC  ( People, Trees, Cars )  or families created with imported 2d dwg ....

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 8

Constantin,

Thank you, so much for getting me through these items.

I've resolved everything but the roof.  The roof type is like a penny on a slope.  This is why I am struggling to get it to slope without becoming a conical type roof.  It seems like 2014 turns circles into half circles, is this correct?

Will try and find doors that stay open on seek!

Trevor Pan
Message 4 of 8

If I understand you well you want something like this ?

Image 10.png

If so :

1. make a circular roof : Roof > Roof by Footprint >Circle
  2. in Sketch Mode click on circle - uncheck Defines Slope
  3. from Modify > Slope Arrow - draw an arrow from the border to the center of the circle - Image 7 
  4. set Height of Tail or Slope from Properties and results Image 8
  5. Attach curtain walls to roof : select Curtain wall > Modify Wall >Attach Top/Base ( top ) to Roof - image 9
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 5 of 8

Constantin,

You really got it down.  Thank you.

I was able to get the roof to slope properly.  Before, I did not start at perimeter and end on centerpoint, which kept causing the cone! Now that I've got that snag out of the way, I'll array a complete shop.  

Was looking for the open door family, how do you search for something like that?

The other deal, that is tough with this curved concept, are the ramps at the beginning of the harbor.  I tried modify sub-elements, which allowed for a rampish type thing, but not the smooth curve.  Is there a way to pick that edge and smooth it out, so its not hard lines?

best,

Trevor Pan
Message 6 of 8
trevorpan
in reply to: trevorpan

pardon that other screen shot, it was missing the corner

Trevor Pan
Message 7 of 8

1. the Door families : Insert > Autodesk Seek - see Image A and Image B

you can also search in RevitCity and Arcat...or , of course you can made your own family...

2. the Ramp:

1. Architecture > Circulation > Ramp > Draw > Boundary >draw a chain of Start-End Radius Arc segments - Image 1
  2. Make the other Boundary : Draw > Pick Lines - choose an offset ( here= 3m)- make an offset of the entire path - Image 2
  3. Choose Riser> draw two lines at the begining and at the end of boundaries - Image 3
  4. From Properties > Edit Type > Type Properties , set the thicknes and material of the ramp - Image 4
  5. Finish Edit Mode

Image 5.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 8 of 8

Thank you ... again. Constantin, you really are a help. I think this job is teaching me alot. Hopefully, others can benefit, too.
T
Trevor Pan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report