Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing a new video card

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
dzuber
1071 Views, 3 Replies

Choosing a new video card

Has anyone tried the new NVIDIA K2000 or K4000 video cards? I am in the market for an upgrade to my NVIDIA FX1800 and can't find much information about the K series. I am also considering a Quadro 2000 or Quadro 4000. All of these video cards are listed as certified on Autodesk's recommended hardware page.

I am running AutoCAD Architecture 2014 on Win 7, 64-bit OS. I also plan to use Revit in the future... but I've been saying that for years.

Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
autoMick
in reply to: dzuber

I have virtually identical computers, but with different graphics cards: GTX670, GTX680 and K4000.

I do most of my work on the K4000 and I've had zero issues with it.

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 3 of 4
dzuber
in reply to: autoMick

Thanks, autoMick. That's great to know. How long have you been running the K4000?

(Other specs: Custom built tower with Intel Core i7-4820K processor, Asus P9x79 Pro motherboard, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD. I am replacing my old FX1800 video card because I have problems with artifacts and "ripples" on the screen.)

Thank you!

Message 4 of 4
autoMick
in reply to: dzuber

I've had that card in since around May this year.

My original intention was to do a comprehesive test betweent the GTX and Quadro cards as there is so little definitive information around. I started a thread in the Civil 3D forum asking for a definite test methodology, but that didn't really yield anything too exciting. Like most people I guess, I just didn't have the time and just left the K4000 in the computer. It's actually in my home computer which is where I do my more challenging work. I use Revit, Civil3D, AutoCAD, sketchup, photoshop daily. Like I said, I've never had a problem with that card.

Having said that, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the GTX 670 or 680 cards either and they were half the price. As they are not running side by side, it's hard to make a comparison, but for the average punter I think they're all pretty hard to separate. I think the Quadro cards come into their own for rendering - where accuracy with reflections, etc. really separate the men from the boys. Probably video production too. I do a fair bit of video converting editing at a hobby level (playing with GoPro footage, etc.) on the K4000 and it works flawlessly. I haven't really tried that on the other computers/cards for comparison.

I never get artificacts/ripples/stutters, etc. etc. with any of the three cards I've mentioned and I deal with some very large Civil3D surfaces, point clouds, 3D models and detailed line drawings as well. I think a lot of the trick is to keep a 'clean' computer without heaps of add ons and other crap.

I can't comment on the relative performance to a FX card.

Cheers

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report