Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing work plane while sketching path of an in-place sweep model.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rkuffel
8821 Views, 5 Replies

Changing work plane while sketching path of an in-place sweep model.

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to change/set the work plane while sketching the path of an in-place model? This guardrail extension is an example of where I would have liked to change the work plane while sketching the path because the path shifted planes. I believe you can do this in the family editor, but I could not get it to work in the in-place modeler. What I ended up doing (as an experiment) was to create masses and picked their edges to get the path I wanted. I would love to be able to have more control over the work plane, like defining the workplane by a face and then being able to move it relative to the face selected. Anyway, help is appreciated. Thank you. Screen Capture.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: rkuffel

It can be done with simple 2d sketches of a railing, in my opinion. Some segments will be flat, and some others will follow the slope of the host. No need to do it as a separate 3d object.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6
rkuffel
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Yes, in this case, that may be possible. The macro-question is if there is a way to change the work plane while sketching a sweep which changes direction from the work plane? Thank you though.

Message 4 of 6
loboarch

A "sketch" in Revit is a 2d (workplane based) element.  Unless you are in the conceptual design environment then this rule can be more easily broken.  So to "sketch" a path for a sweep, you are confined to one plane.  If you "pick" the path.  Then you can use 3d edges/picked elements to create the path.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 6
rkuffel
in reply to: loboarch

Thank you very much. It is very helpful to understand the thoughts/concepts behind the "rules." This is what I thought was happening. Can you add to the wishlist or feedback, the ability to change workplanes while sketching a sweep outside of the conceptual modeling environment? Thanks again.

Message 6 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

No. The most similar option is "pick 3d edges".

As an alternative, there's the option of making an adaptive family with some reference lines and adaptive points, that can be located in different elevations and orientations.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report