Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from AutoCAD to Revit

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
raysem
1314 Views, 11 Replies

Changing from AutoCAD to Revit

Please I need to know about "Revit"
I'm an interior Architect that works for 16 years now on AUTOCAD, and my company is forcing us to change to Revit, I know it's an Autodesk product but is it malleable enough to design interiors and detailing???
And is it feasible in only 5 sessions??

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
bt1138
in reply to: raysem

What do you mean 5 sessions?

Sure you can do interiors with it. You will find some things are harder and some things are easier probably. Also depends on the 'style' of work you do. 

On the whole it is a better program, though it will probably take you a long time to become proficient, sorry to say.

In any case, it is nothing like ACAD, so plan for an orderly, careful transition.

Message 3 of 12
raysem

First thank you for your reply, so is it a little closer to 3DS MAX??? 

My company want us to learn the program in only 5 sessions and start submitting project with it so I think they are dreaming nope?? 🙂

hope this goes well.

Message 4 of 12
bt1138

Revit is not like 3dmax, or anthing else. 

One of the issues is that its not easy to take any of your standard notes, details, graphics, etc. from ACAD to Revit. They are just oil and water. So you have to build up new libraries of all of that in order to use it well. 

If you projects are simple, you might be up and running after some good training. Once you all get into it, you'll see how it works. 

I do suggest again, plan for a orederly transition. You will all suffer horribly if you try to just flip a switch and start running Revit. Find a small test project and have your best people run a full set before you make any big commitments!. 

Message 5 of 12
Hooligan35

We are doing the same thing right now and I can tell you that if you do not have any Revit training - you will not be able to operate Revit very much.

Its like baseball vs cricket.  Similar yet miles apart.

After 5 sessions/days of training - your project will start at a snails pace and it will not get better unless you are using Revit 40hours + per week.

There alot to take in - good luck, once you "get it" you will not want to go back.  I promise.

Message 6 of 12
raysem

Thank you for the help, I sure hope this will work I'll try to get a copy of Ravit to train on my PC at home and hope well 🙂

Message 7 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

You said that your company is forcing you to change to Revit, but you´re going to learn by yourself at home?? Does that "forcing" come with training included?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 12
raysem
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

They are forcing us, learn or hit the road and after 5 sessions we need to submit a full project on revit with deadline (that's what I have heard) that's why I'm thinking of getting the program and training by myself at home.

Message 9 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

So, your company is forcing you and other co-workers to learn Revit or hit the road, but you guys have to learn by yourselves, everybody at home, then come back, work together and deliver a project with a deadline?

Is there any Disaster Recovery plan to apply after that?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 10 of 12
raysem

It's like this, my company is forcing me and other co-workers to learn Revit or hit the road, they will teach us Revit in free 5 sessions but we guys will try to get the program on our personal computers to learn it in according with what the company will give us, everybody at home, then come back, work together and deliver a project with a deadline.

Pretty much the situation.

Message 11 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

Ah, OK, the company is providing you guys with 5 days of training, as a group, and after the training, you guys are going to do a project. It sounds a lot better now, and you don't pay for the training, either. So, that's good. What's the problem, then?

Message 12 of 12
bt1138
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

It almost sounds to me that the employer is implicitly threatening to fire these guys and hire some people who are Revit-proficient if they can't get up to speed quickly (and on their own dime).

Sounds like a lovely place to work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report