Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change floor to roof

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
7139 Views, 11 Replies

Change floor to roof

Problem: in order to get Revit Mep to calculate roofs in the heatload calculation I the floor I used need to be a roof.

Revit MEP does not calculate any roof area since in my model I used floors to finish a level. Which i architurally correct. But partially it's also a roof. Revit Mep does not use the floor as a roof. So what i want to do is to redefine a complex floor with lots of curved sides etc. into a roof. 

The question is: is it possible to just tell revit somehow to change the categorie of the element to roof? or do I have to redraw the whole floor as a flat roof?

Any help is very welkom.

best regards,

Mark

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ryan.duell
in reply to: Anonymous

Unfortunately you cannot change a floor element to a roof element without recreating the element as a roof.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ryan.duell

That was what I was afraid off. thank for replying!

Message 4 of 12
hdaigneault
in reply to: ryan.duell

would it be possible for you guys to work on that? it seems vertical geometry can easily change from one thing to another, why isn't the same thing possible for horizontal planes? thanks.

Message 5 of 12
Paul_F_Aubin
in reply to: hdaigneault

Changing elements from one category to another in Revit is typically not possible. 

However, in the specific case of floor to roof, you have two options you can try. First, try editing the floor, then select all of the sketch lines. Copy them to clipboard. Now create a new footprint roof. Paste aligned to the same place. You get the sketch lines and they might need some edits, but at least you are not starting completely from scratch. 

The other option is to "trace" the floor with the pick lines tool while in the roof. 

Hope that helps. 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

Paul F. Aubin Consulting Services, Inc.
Check out my books and training videos
paulaubin.com
Message 6 of 12
hdaigneault
in reply to: Paul_F_Aubin

that's smart. thanks for these suggestions, i appreciate. and for taking
the time to send a mail.

hd.
Message 7 of 12
Paul_F_Aubin
in reply to: hdaigneault

My pleasure. Glad to help
paul

Paul F. Aubin

paulaubin.com
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Is it possible that you can transfer sub- element info as well? like point and split line elevations?

Thanks,

Sharon

Message 9 of 12
Paul_F_Aubin

I'm afraid not. Sorry. 

You could build the new element in the same spot as the old and then add the new shape points by snapping them to the old positions. It would still be a lot of work though. 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

paulaubin.com
Message 10 of 12
ToanDN

Isolate the floor and export it to SAT. Import the SAT in an in place mass. Create roof by face from the mass.
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

You're right. It doesn't work.

Thanks for the tip.

Sharon

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Never used SAT (ACIS). Good to know!

Thanks!

Sharon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report