Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Family Host Type

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
mhlipp
102260 Views, 17 Replies

Change Family Host Type

I'm a newbie to Revit (I'm using Revit 2014). I have a Wall hosted glass shower curtain I downloaded. The Family Category is Generic Model. I need to be able to place the curtain on another family, a shower stall with tile walls, instead of the wall. Is there a way I can do this? Please give me step-by-step instrucitons (since I'm new to Revit). Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
LisaDrago
in reply to: mhlipp

Hello and Welcome to the Discussion and Revit!

As for changing a wall hosted component to host in something else - It can not be done. You would need to recreate the family. It is pretty strict on those things.

With that said... you can create a shower stall wall that has tile and what ever else it needs.

When you start the wall command - go to the Edit Type button in the Properties dialog box.

in the Type Properties dialog box select duplicate and rename the wall to something logical.

Select the Edit button on the Structure parameter.

This is the Edit Assembly dialog box where you can build the layers of your wall.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 18
pullinsm
in reply to: LisaDrago

Hi Lisa, I read your comment.

So, I downloaded an Air Terminal from a manufacturer website, it only allows me to host to a wall? Why on earth did they want to host a Air Terminal to the face of a wall?

So to get this to work properly I need to recreate the family and make sure it hosts to the ceiling?

Message 4 of 18
CoreyDaun
in reply to: pullinsm

Hello, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

More than likely, the Family is not specifically "Wall-Hosted", but rather "Face-Based" meaning that it can be hosted to almost any surface/plane in the Project. If you open the Family and open the "Family Category and Parameters" dialog, and at the bottom, scroll down to "Host", which should read "Face".

If it actually reads "Wall", then the Family is limited to being hosted to an actual Wall. This means that it cannot be hosted to Walls that reside within a Linked Model - it can only be hosted directly to a Wall Element. Thankfully, MEP Elements can be converted to generic Face-Based Families using the method below without too much difficulty.

Applies to: Revit 2011 and up

Many Families that are available for download are built to specifically host to a Wall, Floor, or Ceiling Element in a Revit Project. The problem with this becomes apparent when a Linked Model is involved - these Families CANNOT host to an Element within a Link Model. Therefore, Families that are hosted to a Face are necessary. Any of these element-specific Families can be converted to Face-Based with the following procedure:

1. Create a new Project and draw a Wall, Floor, or Ceiling - which ever element is an appropriate host.

2. Load in the desired Family and place one instance of each Type on the host Element. Exclude Types you do not wish to retain.

3. Save this Project somewhere temporarily and close it. Start another new Project.

4. Link the previous Project file into this one. The placement of the Linked Model is irrelevant.

5. Go to Collaborate tab » Copy/Monitor Select Link. Select the Linked Project and use Copy to create a copy of each of the placed Elements.

6. The Family is now converted to Face-Based and may be saved/exported from this Project to a separate file for later use.

Note: Only certain Categories are available for Copy/Monitor. If the desired Family is not of one of these, you can edit the Family prior to this process and temporarily change it to an applicable Category and then change it back when completed.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 18
pullinsm
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The family is face hosted. So my problem is the "LINKED" model?

So in this case maybe I should just draw in the Architectural model instead?

Thanks Corey

Message 6 of 18
Alisder.Brown

Inside your project, select to place your Air terminal, and  BEFORE you place it, look on your Ribbon, you have the option to change the placement method, Vertical/face/Workplane. Select the appropriate one.

Make sure you are in the correct view first (ceiling plan in your case) 

Hope this helps

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 7 of 18
pullinsm
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

Thanks Alisder, I tried that also and it places it on the floor and it's upside down.

Attached is a screenshot and the Revit family.

Message 8 of 18
pullinsm

When I 'flip' the workplan its still mounted to the floor.

Message 9 of 18
pullinsm

Nevermind I think I fixed it. Holy cow!

Message 10 of 18
CoreyDaun

In order to host it to a ceiling, you have to be able to see the ceiling. Two possible methods of placement are a) place the Air Terminal while in a Reflected Ceiling Plan or b) place the Air Terminal in a Floor Plan with the underlay orientation set to "Reflected Ceiling Plan" and Underlay set to the View's Associated Level. As mentioned in alisder.brown's post, make sure the placement option on the Ribbon is set to "Place on Face".

Placement .JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 11 of 18
pullinsm

Thanks Corey,

It was set to face. My crazy self so after flipping it to the right side, I had to re-selcet the plane and in a section view select the ceiling.

Now its placed correctly.

Thanks for all the help and comments.

Message 12 of 18
pullinsm

Corey,

The option B I am not sure how that is done?

b) place the Air Terminal in a Floor Plan with the underlay orientation set to "Reflected Ceiling Plan" and Underlay set to the View's Associated Level.

How is that achieved?

Thank you.

-Marlon

Message 13 of 18
CoreyDaun

Under the View's Properties, you'll find the Parameters "Underlay" and "Underlay Orientation" (see image below). This will permit you to properly host the Air Terminal to the Ceiling using the "Place on Face" method.

UnderlayCeilingView.JPG

Message 14 of 18
pullinsm

Smiley SurprisedCool,

Thank you.

Message 15 of 18
CharlesHogge
in reply to: LisaDrago

Hello all,

I wanted to share that there is a YouTube video posted by CAD Technology Center (CTC) that shows a workaround in Revit to change a wall, ceiling hosted family to a face hosted family.  I have provided the link for your to review below.

Hope this helps!

Message 16 of 18
julian.gaviria

Excellent way to solve it!!! Thanks!
Message 17 of 18
sarathmohananuv
in reply to: mhlipp

I have a suggestion about this. 

First create a new family type what type of hosting you needed.

2. Load the alredy created family in to it.

3. Transfer family parameters from one to another using audodesk addins. 

4. Each values of the new family and the existing family parameters to be assigned. 

Message 18 of 18
Luke.Barendse

Oh my goodness, I was so confused through this conversation until you put a screen shot of those placement options, like Verticle/face/workplane. Machos Gracias Amigo! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report