Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change backup file location?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mmcleanarchitect
8238 Views, 7 Replies

Change backup file location?

Is it possible to change the default location for backup files to somewhere other than the folder in which the original file is located?  Ideally I would specify a single location for all backups and tell Carbonite and my nightly mirror/sync application not to copy that folder.  

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
loboarch
in reply to: mmcleanarchitect

No it is not possible to change the location of the Revit .00## backup files. The one thing you could do is write a dos batch file to move the files and schedule that to run shortly before the backup runs.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 8
cwinches
in reply to: loboarch

Is it possible to copy the backup folder and its contents to another location? My guess is no, but I'm curious if there is a way to have multiple backups in the case of rolling back the model.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 8
loboarch
in reply to: cwinches

@cwinches wrote:

Is it possible to copy the backup folder and its contents to another location? My guess is no, but I'm curious if there is a way to have multiple backups in the case of rolling back the model.  Thanks.

I assume you are talking about a workshared file.  Those backups work different.  You really should not move those files.  The roolback feature depends on the folder locations.  Now if you moved them out and then had to move them back in from an archive, I am not sure what would happen.  The backup contents would be "out of sync" with the central file and it might have strange results.  I honestly have never tried it or heard of anyone doing it.  I am not a "code guy" and just don't know enough of the details around the process to say it would break things, but I would advise against moving the backup folder from the default location.  Being for a central file anyhow would this not be a location you have flagged for regular backup anyhow?  You would simply restore the entire folder structure if something happened.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 8
cwinches
in reply to: loboarch

Thanks for your reply. The notion of copying the backup files was a thought on how to investigate items in rolled back versions without having to necessarily commit to those roll backs in the actual central model in order to not lose work. From what you're saying it sounds like you really can't. What is the dos batch file? How does that work? I've heard someone else mention this before but I'm not familiar with it. Thanks again.

Message 6 of 8
martin
in reply to: mmcleanarchitect
Message 7 of 8
Sahay_R
in reply to: martin

Have you tried setting the Options?

File>Options>>File Locations>>Default Path for User Files

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 8 of 8

Autodesk Fails to listen to their users.
For as long as I know Revit users, this is a major complain.
How difficult it is to direct all backups to a single folder?   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report