Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change associated level of a family

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jjs
Contributor
5824 Views, 5 Replies

change associated level of a family

I feel that this should be an elementary question, but I can't find the answer. With certain objects I cannot change the associated level, it's greyed out?

The specific situation is: I have a plan with a few slight variations in elevation, so three levels were created (lower, middle, and upper). The floor plan was then created and plan regions were used to adjust the cut plains. The problem occurs when I try to insert a family. (I think they are all wall hosted families so far, sinks, wc's, toilet partitions, etc...) Even if I change the work plan of the view they always seem to insert at the same level, and the "level" parameter in the properties dialog is greyed out. It would be nice to not have to do the math to set the elevation based off the "upper level" when the sink is actually over the "lower level". Other hosted objects, such as doors, have the parameter active.

Thanks for any help or advice.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: jjs

I have not been able to reproduce the situation where the Base level property of a component is greyed out at the moment of insertion. You said you created levels and then plan regions? Did you create Revit levels with datum symbols, or just slabs at different levels? Also, why you say that WC's and sinks are "wall hosted elements"; but actually these elements are floor based, not wall based. Urinals and tubs are wall based. Maybe clarifying these issues might lead us to find a solution.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6
jjs
Contributor
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Actually, the base level parameter is not even shown during insertion. After insertion (when selected) it shows greyed out. This is true for the sink, wc, and partition. (this may be the common factor, as elements that show the level parameter when inserting also show it active after insertions). They are the 3d families that came with Revit.

Also, they are all wall hosted. The toilet is the 3d wall mounted flush valve toilet, and the sink/lav is also wall mounted (and wall hosted), as is the partition. All commercial type fixtures, it's an elementary school project.

Message 4 of 6
jjs
Contributor

Sorry, forgot to answer all the Q's... Yes the leves are actuall "levels" not just floors.

Message 5 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

OK, now I understand this better. Well, then, the reason why the Level parameter is not even present at the moment of insertion of these components is precisely because these are not floor based but wall based elements, therefore they are not looking for a floor host but a wall host. There is an "elevation" parameter instead.

If you created actual Revit levels for lower, middle, and upper levels of your project, you should have separated floor plan views for those levels, (unless you have specifically unchecked the "make plan view" option when you were created the levels). Then, even if you are not going to present those other plan views in your set of sheets, you can still use them to insert these objects in a more comfortable way, without having to guess and calculate elevation values, but just accepting the defaults. Then, in your set of sheets, you can still show the main floor level only, the one that has the plan regions in it.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 6
jjs
Contributor
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thank you.

Too bad you can't select and change it level association, but at least now that I understand it, i can work with it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report